Service tribute to Vaughan Williams
HIS music is adored across the nation and admired around the world, regarded by many as the epitome of Englishness.Ralph Vaughan Williams, composer of the fantasias on Greensleeves and a theme of Thomas Tallis, On Wenlock Edge and The Lark Ascending, died 50 years ago.
HIS music is adored across the nation and admired around the world, regarded by many as the epitome of Englishness.
Ralph Vaughan Williams, composer of the fantasias on Greensleeves and a theme of Thomas Tallis, On Wenlock Edge and The Lark Ascending, died 50 years ago.
His Sea Songs were played as an anniversary tribute at the Last Night of the 2008 Proms. And now a special service is being held in Norfolk to remember his significant contribution to church music.
The Barnham Group and Upper Yare group of parishes near Wymondham is holding the Vaughan Williams Jubilee Service of Celebration at St George's Church, Hardingham, on Sunday, October 12.
You may also want to watch:
The congregation at the 5pm service can join in with some of his best-loved hymns, and there will be choral and solo items as well as readings of the prose and poetry that inspired him.
Apart from being a prolific composer of symphonies, operas and concertos and an enthusiastic collector of folk music and songs, Vaughan Williams arranged, set or composed the music for many hymns, including For All the Saints, All Creatures of Our God and King, At the Name of Jesus and Come Down, O Love Divine.
- 1 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 2 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 3 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown
- 4 Person injured and road closed after crash
- 5 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 6 In full: Council's apology to 'vindicated' members after bullying claims
- 7 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 8 Meet nine-year-old Airlie – the little baker with a big dream
- 9 Flying Scotsman visit to Mid Norfolk Railway confirmed
- 10 Headteacher's plea after near miss involving child in pushchair
During his lifetime he edited The English Hymnal, The Oxford Book of Carols, and the Songs of Praise collection of hymns.