Youngsters progress in cup
Wymondham College U15 rugby team held their nerve against a strong Gresham's outfit to progress into the next round of the Daily Mail Cup.After seeing off strong opposition from Norwich School in round three, Wymondham had all to play for after being drawn against Gresham's.
Wymondham College U15 rugby team held their nerve against a strong Gresham's outfit to progress into the next round.
After seeing off strong opposition from Norwich School in round three, Wymondham had all to play for after being drawn against Gresham's.
Wymondham made sure they held possession as much as possible in the first half. They used the wind behind them to good advantage and earned an early try, by Toby Fletcher, making a box kick into the Gresham's corner.
Ben Rossi delivered a clinical pass to Nick Moore, who crashed over from five metres out. Fletcher converted and put Wymondham 0-7 ahead.
You may also want to watch:
The rest of the second half was mainly dominated by Wymondham with a predominantly kicking game.
The second half was always likely to be a struggle to see any flowing rugby with the difficult playing conditions.
- 1 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 2 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 3 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown
- 4 Person injured and road closed after crash
- 5 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 6 In full: Council's apology to 'vindicated' members after bullying claims
- 7 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 8 Meet nine-year-old Airlie – the little baker with a big dream
- 9 Flying Scotsman visit to Mid Norfolk Railway confirmed
- 10 Headteacher's plea after near miss involving child in pushchair
Gresham's had large periods of time with the ball but Wymondham were very strong in defence with Zander Youngman and Charlie Taylor in particular soaking up large periods of pressure.
Hon Sang Lee, had stepped in at outside half, for the injured Rossi, and managed to make some great breaks and earn hard yards. Twenty minutes into the second half Gresham's managed to crash over after several phases of play making the score 5-7.
They failed to convert, and despite some great positional play from Gresham's in the final nine minutes Wymondham hung on for a terrific win.
They will face Wellingborough School in the next round.