Youngsters progress in cup
Wymondham College U15 rugby team held their nerve against a strong Gresham's outfit to progress into the next round of the Daily Mail Cup.After seeing off strong opposition from Norwich School in round three, Wymondham had all to play for after being drawn against Gresham's.
Wymondham College U15 rugby team held their nerve against a strong Gresham's outfit to progress into the next round.
After seeing off strong opposition from Norwich School in round three, Wymondham had all to play for after being drawn against Gresham's.
Wymondham made sure they held possession as much as possible in the first half. They used the wind behind them to good advantage and earned an early try, by Toby Fletcher, making a box kick into the Gresham's corner.
Ben Rossi delivered a clinical pass to Nick Moore, who crashed over from five metres out. Fletcher converted and put Wymondham 0-7 ahead.
You may also want to watch:
The rest of the second half was mainly dominated by Wymondham with a predominantly kicking game.
The second half was always likely to be a struggle to see any flowing rugby with the difficult playing conditions.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 See inside this restored period farmhouse for sale for £850,000
- 3 Mum's 100 mile challenge fulfils promise to late daughter
- 4 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
- 5 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 6 Parents share their stories as fertility clinic celebrates 1,000 births
- 7 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 8 Attleborough set to have no bank as Lloyds announces closure
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Warning to check smoke alarms after family escaped fire
Gresham's had large periods of time with the ball but Wymondham were very strong in defence with Zander Youngman and Charlie Taylor in particular soaking up large periods of pressure.
Hon Sang Lee, had stepped in at outside half, for the injured Rossi, and managed to make some great breaks and earn hard yards. Twenty minutes into the second half Gresham's managed to crash over after several phases of play making the score 5-7.
They failed to convert, and despite some great positional play from Gresham's in the final nine minutes Wymondham hung on for a terrific win.
They will face Wellingborough School in the next round.