Wymondham Town’s six-goal thriller a fitting tribute to Les King
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
Wymondham Town 3 Loddon United 3
Wymondham Town said farewell to life president Les King with a bumper crowd of over 500 spectators who came to show their respects to the sporting legend.
The game started slowly for Wymondham with the pressure of playing in front of the biggest crowd for many years and it was Loddon who broke the deadlock. A perfect cross was parried down by Dalton before the advancing striker drilled the ball into the bottom corner. With this came more woes for Wymondham as Dalton came off injured, to be replaced by left back Leon Brock.
Brock, who had never played between the sticks before, pulled off three fantastic saves to keep Loddon at bay. This gave Wymondham the wake-up call they required and a long ball over the top found the feet of Liam Moriarty who beat two defenders before smashing the ball under the Loddon keeper to level.
With 10 minutes to go before half-time the onslaught from Wymondham was rewarded with two more goals. The first came from a well-worked corner, with Luke Delaney finding Craig Page who flicked the ball on for Danny Pennell to volley home.
Three minutes later Delaney delivered another corner which found Page on the edge of the box. His powerful header found the roof of the net and Town went in at half-time 3-1 up.
Wymondham came out the second half as they went in, Charlie Blake and Lee Metcalf working tirelessly in the midfield with the ever-present Damien Atherton stroking the ball about brilliantly. Two further substitutions were made, with Dom Frost and Aaron Nixon coming on.
- 1 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 2 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 3 Engineers on scene after parts of Wymondham suffer power cut
- 4 MP's intervention on plans for massive poultry farm
- 5 Mother's anger at delays to bathroom repairs
- 6 'We want an end to it' - Wymondham's plea over Abbey row
- 7 Overnight road closures on A11 as road resurfacing works continue
- 8 Hughes Electrical to close its Wymondham branch
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 Café reopens with dog-friendly menu in Wymondham
Loddon then started to push Wymondham back and a fantastic strike beat Brock to make it 3-2. With this Wymondham dropped off and gave away a few fouls. One of these was on the edge of the box and the free-kick was put past Brock and into the top corner. With 10 minutes to go Wymondham had chances to win the game, with a few penalty shouts along the way, but they had to settle for a point.
The club were grateful to everyone who attended the game. The support was fantastic and hopefully the entertaining game will inspire many people to watch games at the Kings Head Meadow.
Town have a swift return match at Loddon on Saturday.