Wymondham share points
Dagenham 14, Wymondham 14Wymondham travelled down to Dagenham with arguably their strongest side of the season - and in the end were disappointed to return with a only a point.
Dagenham 14, Wymondham 14
Wymondham travelled down to Dagenham with arguably their strongest side of the season - and in the end were disappointed to return with a only a point.
Wymondham made 12 changes from last weekend's cup defeat, with former Norwich player Scott Norman making his first appearance in the senior side from the bench.
The opening exchanges were tentative but Wymondham gifted Dagenham's Louis Stevens two penalties in as many minutes. Stephen Simms, scorer of all Wymondham's points, then notched one back.
You may also want to watch:
Missed touch kicks were then to become decisive as Wymondham went on to miss five more opportunities during the game, handing possession straight back to the home side.
Chris Brown was desperately unlucky not to score the first try of the match. He spotted a gap and raced clear, only to be brought down inches from the line.
- 1 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 3 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 8 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 9 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 10 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
The supporting players then drove the ball over the line but with the official unsighted the score couldn't be awarded.
Simms brought Wymondham level though with his second penalty just before the break.
Early in the second half Simms got his third penalty to give Wymondham the lead before Stevens put the hosts back on level terms with his third penalty.
Another wayward clearance landed straight into the arms of D's wing Perry Lock, who danced his way to halfway before releasing Nicky Ereira, who evaded several tackles to score in the corner.
In an instant Dagenham had renewed hope of a victory and upped their defensive game. Wymondham threw everything at the home side, forcing desperate defence that sent temperatures soaring.
Eventually, it was Simms who managed to squeeze over in the corner to square the match.
It was a tense final 15 minutes that ended with another Simms attempt at a penalty on virtually the last kick but he was unable to add to his 14-point tally.
Meanwhile, Wymondham II recorded a 17-0 Merit Table win at Wisbech II.