Wymondham’s giant step towards safety
Mersea Island 21, Wymondham 24
RUGBY: Wymondham took a giant step towards safety in London 3NE when they recorded a hard-fought victory at bottom side Mersea Island.
The Red and Blacks generally had the upper hand against determined opposition, and had pulled away to lead 24-7 in the second half.
Two tries from Alex Brugger and another from Chris Brown, all of which were converted by Steve Simms, had appeared to put Wymondham in an unassailable position, but Mersea then turned up the heat by reducing the deficit to just three points.
That might have rattled lesser sides but Wymondham, who had lost Andrew Nelson with a shoulder injury, saw out the game and were even going for a bonus point in the closing stages.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham were hoping the result would ensure their safety but with some other results going against them they still need to win their final match of the season, at home to Newmarket in a fortnight's time, to be absolutely certain of avoiding the drop.
The chances are they will be safe whatever happens — but no-one at the club wants to leave anything to chance.
- 1 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 2 Norfolk nurse's 'lightbulb moment' leads to star-studded dog show panel
- 3 Estate agent makes thoughtful donation to 'amazing' NHS heroes
- 4 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 5 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 6 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 7 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich
- 8 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 9 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 10 Norfolk college is national finalist in 'Oscars of teaching profession'
At the weekend Wymondham have a Norfolk Cup semi-final against either West Norfolk or North Walsham to look forward to.