Wymondham’s giant step towards safety
Mersea Island 21, Wymondham 24
RUGBY: Wymondham took a giant step towards safety in London 3NE when they recorded a hard-fought victory at bottom side Mersea Island.
The Red and Blacks generally had the upper hand against determined opposition, and had pulled away to lead 24-7 in the second half.
Two tries from Alex Brugger and another from Chris Brown, all of which were converted by Steve Simms, had appeared to put Wymondham in an unassailable position, but Mersea then turned up the heat by reducing the deficit to just three points.
That might have rattled lesser sides but Wymondham, who had lost Andrew Nelson with a shoulder injury, saw out the game and were even going for a bonus point in the closing stages.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham were hoping the result would ensure their safety but with some other results going against them they still need to win their final match of the season, at home to Newmarket in a fortnight's time, to be absolutely certain of avoiding the drop.
The chances are they will be safe whatever happens — but no-one at the club wants to leave anything to chance.
- 1 Former factory site to become a new church
- 2 Woodforde's takes over Old Buckenham pub closed for two years
- 3 Man appears in court over Class A drug charge
- 4 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 5 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 6 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 10 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
At the weekend Wymondham have a Norfolk Cup semi-final against either West Norfolk or North Walsham to look forward to.