Wymondham rugby trio snapped up by top professional clubs
- Credit: Wymondham RFC
A Norfolk rugby club is celebrating after three products of their youth system are set to join some of the biggest teams in the country.
Jake Garside, Will Hobson and Billy Evans were teammates in Wymondham Rugby Club's Spartans squad, winning minis and youth trophies across the region.
Six years later, and now aged 18, all three are off to professional clubs with Garside joining Northampton Saints and Hobson off to Harlequins, both in the Premiership.
And Evans will be joining the academy at top Championship side Ealing Trailfinders in the suburb of London.
Neil Davies, under 18s coach at Wymondham, said: "It’s just a brilliant achievement for all three and reflects not just their talent but all the work they’ve put into the game. We couldn’t be more proud of them."
Garside, who plays as a scrum-half, stayed with the Norfolk club until he was signed by Saints' junior academy. He returned to help coach Wymondham's under 8s side this month.
He said: "Billy and Will have always been big lads and as one of the smallest in the squad it wasn’t much fun being tackled by them - which is probably why I put a lot of effort into learning to run round them."
You may also want to watch:
Hobson left Wymondham when he went to boarding school, while Evans still plays for the club's Colts.
Saints’ coach Will Parkin said: “Jake’s athleticism – specifically his speed – is seriously impressive, so hopefully he can continue to develop in that area. He is a skilful No.9 too, with his delivery and variety of kicking really standing out.
- 1 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 2 Teenager has all clear from testicular cancer after pioneering surgery
- 3 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Just 65 people vote in referendum on town council's future
- 6 Certificates for Wymondham in Bloom floral displays announced
- 7 Long tailbacks on A11 after crash
- 8 WATCH: Speedy Eva, 81, runs fastest mile on record for her age group
- 9 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 10 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
“I’m excited to see how good he can be within a full-time environment.”
Both Garside and Hobson are part of England's under 18 training set-up and will join three other Wymondham graduates in the Premiership, with Will Evans at Harlequins, Tommy Freeman at Saints and Ollie Ashworth at Leicester Tigers.
They have both signed professional contracts with their new clubs and are in the respective senior academies.
Norfolk has a history of producing elite rugby players, most notably former North Walsham and Holt Rugby Club brothers Ben and Tom Youngs.