Wymondham put up a real fight
Wymondham produced by far their best away display of the season at Colchester, giving the champions a real run for their money.The game ended in a win for Colchester 38-21.
Wymondham produced by far their best away display of the season at Colchester, giving the champions a real run for their money.
The game ended in a win for Colchester 38-21.
Results in the other games, for once, suited Wymondham who now look virtually guaranteed a London League Division Four place next season.
Two tries from Colchester's Adam Cook and seven points from Pete LeMarquand's boot put the home side 17-0 up and the large partisan crowd sensed an easy afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
But Wymondham had other ideas and proceeded to dominate the remainder of the half.
Tries from Leathes Prior man-of-the- match Pat Reed (pictured) and Ian Harris, both converted by Thomas Wilson, brought Wymondham to within three points at half-time.
- 1 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown
- 2 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 3 Person injured and road closed after crash
- 4 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 5 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 6 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 7 In full: Council's apology to 'vindicated' members after bullying claims
- 8 Meet nine-year-old Airlie – the little baker with a big dream
- 9 Flying Scotsman visit to Mid Norfolk Railway confirmed
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Election day guide
The visitors were left to rue the three missed penalty kicks at goal that might have given them the lead.
This was as close as Wymondham got because Colchester soon extended their lead. Tries from Calum Irvine and LeMarquand, both converted, restored Colchester's 17-point advantage and gave Wymondham a mountain to climb.
Once again they hit back and a charge down and try from Jonathan Coltman with his first touch, converted by Wilson, brought the gap down to ten, only for Kyle Hutchins' converted try to end Wymondham's valiant effort.