Wymondham joy at gaining promotion
Wymondham Town secured promotion to the Anglian Combination Premier Division with a 5-2 home win against Holt.
A spokesperson for the Rooks said: 'The club would like to give a big thanks to the large crowd on the night and those that have supported us throughout the season home and away. Well done to all the players and officials and let's enjoy our remaining fixtures as we look forward to next season in the Premier Division.'
Wymondham Town 5, Holt United 2
Gareth Downs' cross just eluded Rob Browne and Calum Webb tried his luck from distance.
You may also want to watch:
With 25 minutes gone the lively David Ramsbottom broke down the right. Holt failed to clear and Chris O'Brien drove home from the edge of the box. The visitors soon replied when their striker caught Matt Ducker wrong footed to curl his shot in.
Town were back in front again when skipper Simon Cracknell headed home Luke Rackham's corner but again couldn't hold their lead for long. A direct ball caught out Wymondham's back four and the pacey striker beat the oncoming Ducker to make the half-time score 2-2.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 4 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 5 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 6 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 7 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 8 Norfolk airfield to host testing of 'world-first' electric plane
- 9 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 10 Car dealership next to doctor's surgery given go-ahead
With Jimmy McCloy orchestrating things in midfield Town soon restored their lead. Rob Browne chested down and volleyed home a great strike from 25 yards out. The same player was then up-ended to allow Luke Rackham to step up and calmly stroke home the resulting penalty. Town were still grateful to Matt Ducker for two great saves.
Simon Cracknell completed the scoring with a ferocious free- kick that nearly bust the Holt net. Jamie Butler came on to inject some pace into the game, and with Alex Williamson and Mark Mitchell defending well, Wymondham didn't concede any second-half goals.
MoM: Jimmy McCloy for his excellent show in midfield.
After securing promotion in midweek, Wymondham hosted Stalham in the Saturday afternoon heat and ran out 4-2 winners. Goals by Jimmy McCloy, Jamie Speller (2) and Rob Browne. MoM: Jamie Speller and Rob Browne.
On Saturday, Wymondham visit Wells and will get their medals from the league (ko 2.30pm).