Wymondham joy at gaining promotion
Wymondham Town secured promotion to the Anglian Combination Premier Division with a 5-2 home win against Holt.
A spokesperson for the Rooks said: 'The club would like to give a big thanks to the large crowd on the night and those that have supported us throughout the season home and away. Well done to all the players and officials and let's enjoy our remaining fixtures as we look forward to next season in the Premier Division.'
Wymondham Town 5, Holt United 2
Gareth Downs' cross just eluded Rob Browne and Calum Webb tried his luck from distance.
With 25 minutes gone the lively David Ramsbottom broke down the right. Holt failed to clear and Chris O'Brien drove home from the edge of the box. The visitors soon replied when their striker caught Matt Ducker wrong footed to curl his shot in.
Town were back in front again when skipper Simon Cracknell headed home Luke Rackham's corner but again couldn't hold their lead for long. A direct ball caught out Wymondham's back four and the pacey striker beat the oncoming Ducker to make the half-time score 2-2.
- 1 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 2 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 3 A11 closure to continue as roadworks finally begin
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 6 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 10 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
With Jimmy McCloy orchestrating things in midfield Town soon restored their lead. Rob Browne chested down and volleyed home a great strike from 25 yards out. The same player was then up-ended to allow Luke Rackham to step up and calmly stroke home the resulting penalty. Town were still grateful to Matt Ducker for two great saves.
Simon Cracknell completed the scoring with a ferocious free- kick that nearly bust the Holt net. Jamie Butler came on to inject some pace into the game, and with Alex Williamson and Mark Mitchell defending well, Wymondham didn't concede any second-half goals.
MoM: Jimmy McCloy for his excellent show in midfield.
After securing promotion in midweek, Wymondham hosted Stalham in the Saturday afternoon heat and ran out 4-2 winners. Goals by Jimmy McCloy, Jamie Speller (2) and Rob Browne. MoM: Jamie Speller and Rob Browne.
On Saturday, Wymondham visit Wells and will get their medals from the league (ko 2.30pm).