Wymondham joy at gaining promotion
Wymondham Town secured promotion to the Anglian Combination Premier Division with a 5-2 home win against Holt.
A spokesperson for the Rooks said: 'The club would like to give a big thanks to the large crowd on the night and those that have supported us throughout the season home and away. Well done to all the players and officials and let's enjoy our remaining fixtures as we look forward to next season in the Premier Division.'
Wymondham Town 5, Holt United 2
Gareth Downs' cross just eluded Rob Browne and Calum Webb tried his luck from distance.
You may also want to watch:
With 25 minutes gone the lively David Ramsbottom broke down the right. Holt failed to clear and Chris O'Brien drove home from the edge of the box. The visitors soon replied when their striker caught Matt Ducker wrong footed to curl his shot in.
Town were back in front again when skipper Simon Cracknell headed home Luke Rackham's corner but again couldn't hold their lead for long. A direct ball caught out Wymondham's back four and the pacey striker beat the oncoming Ducker to make the half-time score 2-2.
- 1 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 2 Teenager has all clear from testicular cancer after pioneering surgery
- 3 Certificates for Wymondham in Bloom floral displays announced
- 4 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Long tailbacks on A11 after crash
- 7 Just 65 people vote in referendum on town council's future
- 8 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 9 WATCH: Speedy Eva, 81, runs fastest mile on record for her age group
- 10 Horse found with maggot-infested wounds wins rosette at equestrian show
With Jimmy McCloy orchestrating things in midfield Town soon restored their lead. Rob Browne chested down and volleyed home a great strike from 25 yards out. The same player was then up-ended to allow Luke Rackham to step up and calmly stroke home the resulting penalty. Town were still grateful to Matt Ducker for two great saves.
Simon Cracknell completed the scoring with a ferocious free- kick that nearly bust the Holt net. Jamie Butler came on to inject some pace into the game, and with Alex Williamson and Mark Mitchell defending well, Wymondham didn't concede any second-half goals.
MoM: Jimmy McCloy for his excellent show in midfield.
After securing promotion in midweek, Wymondham hosted Stalham in the Saturday afternoon heat and ran out 4-2 winners. Goals by Jimmy McCloy, Jamie Speller (2) and Rob Browne. MoM: Jamie Speller and Rob Browne.
On Saturday, Wymondham visit Wells and will get their medals from the league (ko 2.30pm).