Wymondham buoyed by first away win

RUGBY: Wymondham, buoyed by their first away win of the season, are on the road again this week with a trip to Campion, in what is another vital game in securing survival.

Wymondham shook off their away-day blues and eased the pressure on them at the bottom of the table with their first away win of the season against Wisbech.

In a very even match from start to finish Wymondham played with the wind in the first half, despite being pinned back in their own half Wymondham's defence was solid and with their first venture into the Wisbech half they were awarded a penalty which Tom Wilson duly converted.

The same pattern repeated itself 10 minutes later again after being camped in their own half Wymondham finally broke into the Wisbech half and when the penalty came up stepped Wilson to give wymondham a 6-0 lead.

Wisbech struggled against the wind with penalty kicks missing touch and countless knock ons, but a well taken scrum against the head allowed Wisbech into the Wymondham 22.

From the resulting pick and drives Wisbech worked the Wymondham defence well and when the ball was finally moved wide the Wisbech inside centre strolled in under the posts,.

With the conversion going over, the half-time score was 7-6 in favour of Wisbech.

Most Read

Wymondham started the second half with a renewed energy but the next 15 minutes could have proved costly.

First Penia Sokia was yellow carded for a clumsy shoulder barge tackle that would have struggled to knock over thin air and then a two-footed tackle saw Wilson having to leave the field and after being admitted to hospital was later discharged with two cracked ribs.

In between these two events Wisbech had two penalty kicks at goal, one missing to the left and the other rebounding off the left post and promptly booted into touch.

With Kirk Vincent replacing Gareth Clifford and James Wyatt on for Wilson, Wymondham turned possession into territorial advantage and found themselves playing in the Wisbech half. Wymondham's efforts were awarded with two penalty kicks at goal but the strong wind meant they were both missed with the later falling just short.

With a third penalty awarded this time Wymondham went to the corner and from the resulting catch and drive Lee Summers was able to pick and go, spinning out of the tackle he crashed over the line. Wyatt then added the conversion to make the score 7-13.

A nail bitting final seven minutes was finally brought to an end when Jonny Payne kicked the ball into touch and the delight passion and thrill to be part of an away winning Wymondham 1st XV was written of everyone's face.

Wymondham say goodbye to James Wyatt who goes off travelling around the Southern Hemisphere and the club look forward to his return next season.