Wymondham athletes make their mark
Members of Wymondham AC made their mark in local road races walking off with team medals and individual prizes.
In the second race of the Broadland 5k series, James Preston led the WAC runners home, His time of 16.13 placed him second overall. After having scooped the senior team prize in the firth event of the series, City of Norwich AC fielded a strong team to reclaim the title and the Wymondham's squad of James Prestom, Jack Gillick (17.55), Phil Waity (18.02) and Craig Dungar(19.03) had to be content with the second team prize. Karl Chapman, Jason Mountain and Neil Holland were the other runners beating the 20 minute mark finishing in 19.11, 19.18 and 19.38 respectively. In-form Terry Brannan had a good run, clocking 21.24 which placed him third in the M60 age group.
Having missed out on a team medal in the first event, Wymondham's senior ladies Bex Faircloth (19.51), Claire Vinsen (20:22) and Tanya Crofts (21:18) dominated the race and comfortably won the ladies' team prize. Tracy Stevens followed in 22:56 which placed her third the W40 age group. Vikki Bradley also had a good run finishing in 23:36.
Wymondham runners were out in force at the Reedham 10k at the weekend. The demanding course and high temperature affected the running performance and only one member, Richard White managed to get inside the 40 minute mark. His time of 39.24 placed him third in the highly competitive M50 age group. A further individual prize went to Gerry Watson clocking 44:22 for second M55. The other WAC male runners were Phil Waity (41.36), Ian Crutchley (41:57), Russell Clarke (43:06), Adam Masterson (43:41), Jason Mountain (45:11) Graham Coleman (47:36), Dale Cooper (47:52), Mark Tufts (49:09), Mike Smith (W) (52:07), Keith Hood (55:26), Steve Cuviello (58:49) and David Rose (61:53).
In the ladies' race, in-form Bex Faircloth added a further trophy to her recent collection by coming first W35 in 43:24. Amy Dungar and Claire Vinsen both ran well finishing together in 44.16. They were awarded with first and second senior ladies' prize. The other WAC runners, several of them new to the club and racing for the first time over the 10k distance were Tracy Dodsworth (49:00), Helen Richardson (51:29), Tracy Stevens (51:36), Cassie Barker (53:31), Joanne Jesney (53:40), Patsy Bradley (54.06), Jen Rudd (54:42), Rachel Lockwood (57:22), Jackie Gowing (59:04), Tanya Martin (59:16) Sarah Robinson (72:46).
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham AC meets every Monday at 6.30pm at the Rugby Club off Tuttles Lane. Runners of all standards are welcome.
- 1 ‘Play your part in history’ - army of Norfolk volunteers needed for Covid vaccine roll out
- 2 Lotus Cars ‘larger than life’ designer dies aged 76
- 3 Norfolk's 'Mr Music' has lockdown 90th birthday to remember
- 4 Norfolk coronavirus infection rates fall further
- 5 'Oh, crumbs' - Maximus, 2, inspires mum's lockdown biscuit business
- 6 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 7 Tea room to close for a week after coronavirus case confirmed
- 8 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 9 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?
- 10 'Hugely disappointed': Reaction to Tier 2 Covid restrictions for Norfolk