Wymondham and Norwich set for derby tussle
Following an extended break from rugby, both Wymondham and Norwich get 2011 under way on Saturday with what is set to become one of the biggest local derbies in the county.
This will be Norwich's first ever league fixture at Tuttles Lane, and in keeping with the nature of this fixture there is a large pre-match luncheon planned.
Wymondham recently announced a new three-year sponsorship arrangement with Norwich Solicitors, Leathes Prior, that also includes additional sponsorship of this year's Players' Dinner where former New Zealand captain Sean Fitzpatrick will be guest speaker.
Saturday's lunch guests also include a strong contingent from Eastern Counties with Chairman, Bob Cranna, Secretary, Roger Pierson, Community Rugby Chairman, Andrew Sarek and Communication Chairman, Andy McCallum visiting. Sponsors Leathes Prior, as always, also have a strong presence that includes Observer Sports Journalist, author and barrister Will Buckley, who has also kindly donated two signed copies of his book 'The Man Who Hated Football' for the lunchtime raffle.
Buckley joined Leathes Prior in December as a consultant sports lawyer.
When Wymondham travelled to Norwich earlier in the season they had reason to be optimistic, their hosts were on a five-match losing streak, they'd just been relegated and many of the team were absent attending a wedding. Unfortunately, Wymondham failed to make hay and gifted victory to Norwich at a wind-swept Beeston Hyrne.
Norwich then experienced something of a renaissance and have since won five of their six games, scoring prolifically in victory and are now in touch with the promotion race.
- 1 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 2 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 3 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
Conversely, Wymondham have lost five games and scrambled just two victories and find themselves in a relegation battle, consequently victory is vital for both sides but for opposite reasons.
With the prolonged lay-off both sides ought to be able to field full strength sides on Saturday and the game promises to be well attended as Norfolk's top three clubs are all away this weekend and this will be Norfolk's premier rugby fixture.
Additionally Wymondham 2nd XV are also hosting Norwich in the Woodforde's Merit Table and Wymondham 3rd XV travel to Lowestoft & Yarmouth.
Kick off is 2:15 and for those attending the lunch, this will be an 11:45 meet for a prompt 12:15 start with the presentation to Leathes Prior taking place prior to lunch.