Wymondham and Norwich set for derby tussle
Following an extended break from rugby, both Wymondham and Norwich get 2011 under way on Saturday with what is set to become one of the biggest local derbies in the county.
This will be Norwich's first ever league fixture at Tuttles Lane, and in keeping with the nature of this fixture there is a large pre-match luncheon planned.
Wymondham recently announced a new three-year sponsorship arrangement with Norwich Solicitors, Leathes Prior, that also includes additional sponsorship of this year's Players' Dinner where former New Zealand captain Sean Fitzpatrick will be guest speaker.
Saturday's lunch guests also include a strong contingent from Eastern Counties with Chairman, Bob Cranna, Secretary, Roger Pierson, Community Rugby Chairman, Andrew Sarek and Communication Chairman, Andy McCallum visiting. Sponsors Leathes Prior, as always, also have a strong presence that includes Observer Sports Journalist, author and barrister Will Buckley, who has also kindly donated two signed copies of his book 'The Man Who Hated Football' for the lunchtime raffle.
Buckley joined Leathes Prior in December as a consultant sports lawyer.
You may also want to watch:
When Wymondham travelled to Norwich earlier in the season they had reason to be optimistic, their hosts were on a five-match losing streak, they'd just been relegated and many of the team were absent attending a wedding. Unfortunately, Wymondham failed to make hay and gifted victory to Norwich at a wind-swept Beeston Hyrne.
Norwich then experienced something of a renaissance and have since won five of their six games, scoring prolifically in victory and are now in touch with the promotion race.
- 1 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 2 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 3 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 4 Fears raised that supermarkets are Covid-spreading hotspots
- 5 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 6 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 7 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 8 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 9 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 10 'Worrying' numbers had access to data centres holding confidential info
Conversely, Wymondham have lost five games and scrambled just two victories and find themselves in a relegation battle, consequently victory is vital for both sides but for opposite reasons.
With the prolonged lay-off both sides ought to be able to field full strength sides on Saturday and the game promises to be well attended as Norfolk's top three clubs are all away this weekend and this will be Norfolk's premier rugby fixture.
Additionally Wymondham 2nd XV are also hosting Norwich in the Woodforde's Merit Table and Wymondham 3rd XV travel to Lowestoft & Yarmouth.
Kick off is 2:15 and for those attending the lunch, this will be an 11:45 meet for a prompt 12:15 start with the presentation to Leathes Prior taking place prior to lunch.