Wymondham AC runners enjoy success in London Marathon
Congratulations go to seven members of Wymondham AC who completed this year's London Marathon.
The runners enjoyed the Spring-like weather conditions and completed the gruelling 26.2 miles with some very impressive finishing times.
Leading the Wymondham athletes home in 3-15:32 was Andy Terry. This was Andy's second attempt at the VLM course and, despite missing five weeks of training due to a calf injury, he still managed to smash his PB by a massive 19 minutes. Andy was running for charity in aid of the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign.
Not far behind Andy, and first Wymondham lady home, was Harriet Carr in 3-37:39 – a very strong performance in her first marathon. She is a very talented young runner and her commitment to training paid off with a remarkable inaugural finish time.
Dedicated runner and newly-qualified running coach, Mark Tufts, achieved a very respectable time of 3-46:14.
You may also want to watch:
This was Mark's third London marathon, having completed the Edinburgh Marathon just 11 months earlier. Mark enjoyed the London race experience, commenting on the tremendous crowd support and sheer excitement and fun of the whole day.
Another member to beat the four-hour mark was Patrick Larke in 3-51:30. Patrick has run this distance several times before, both in training and on race day.
- 1 'Little fighter' Rian battling complex mix of heart conditions
- 2 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 5 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 8 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 9 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 5 virtual games to play with family and friends over Zoom
Female Vet runners Jenny Christian and Angie Bear followed in 3-56:06 and 4-01:24 respectively. Experienced long distance runners Jenny and Angie have completed several marathons together, including the very picturesque Venice Marathon in 2010. Jenny currently holds the WAC club female marathon record for her age category with a time of 3-26.
Angie has a very impressive marathon career, completing over 20 to date. This year was Angie's ninth London marathon and she has already set her sights on completing her 10th next year.
Finally, in a terrific time for his age category, Rob Ewin finished the race in 4-44:29.
All the Wymondham runners thoroughly enjoyed their London Marathon experience. Thank you to head coach, Ron Marsh, and his committed team of coaches at Wymondham Athletic Club for consistently providing productive training sessions. This is evident with the success of the runner's performances on race day.
Wymondham AC's annual Midsummer 10-mile road race will take place on Sunday, June 10. This race incorporates the Norfolk County Championships. For details and entry forms please go to wymondhamac.org.uk