Water skiing: International success for Danielle
Wymondham's Danielle Shorten overcame a painful injury to become European and South African Under-21 Jump champion.
The 20-year-old won also bronze medals in tricks and individual overall in the European and South African Water Ski Under-21 Championships.
Danielle, who studying for her BSc Honours Applied Sport, Health & Exercise degree at Norwich City College, has been winter training and spent two weeks in Florida in early March, training for the Europeans.
Along with a team coach, Danielle, one girl and two boys had 15 hours' flying over two flights, arriving on a Sunday and beginning training the following day. Unfortunately she ripped her big toe nail completely off on the Wednesday and was unable to train to her full potential as putting her foot in the binding and pressure from skiing was very painful.
Danielle made the jump and trick finals. Team GB won a silver and Danielle won the jump.
This is her last international competition as an under-21 and she will move up to Open age group in January. Danielle has won many medals abroad, but never a gold and never four in one competition so this was by far her best international competition. However, she endured a nightmare in her jump final as the cameras failed.
She recorded fast times so had to have six jumps whereas normally she would have only three – it was on her final jump where she secured first place at 40m.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 New Co-op branch opening its doors in Wymondham
- 3 The fight is on to save a Norfolk village's Post Office
- 4 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 5 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 6 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 7 Man taken to hospital after car crashed into ditch
- 8 Soprano wins Norfolk Young Musician 2022 competition
- 9 Trust visited four times by Ofsted during pandemic celebrates verdict
- 10 Inquest into Banham Poultry deaths adjourned again amid manslaughter probe
Danielle will continue training at Hazelwood Ski World in Lincoln and at Norwich Water Ski Club in readiness for the season's competitions and the Open European Championships in Italy.