Water skiing: International success for Danielle
Wymondham's Danielle Shorten overcame a painful injury to become European and South African Under-21 Jump champion.
The 20-year-old won also bronze medals in tricks and individual overall in the European and South African Water Ski Under-21 Championships.
Danielle, who studying for her BSc Honours Applied Sport, Health & Exercise degree at Norwich City College, has been winter training and spent two weeks in Florida in early March, training for the Europeans.
Along with a team coach, Danielle, one girl and two boys had 15 hours' flying over two flights, arriving on a Sunday and beginning training the following day. Unfortunately she ripped her big toe nail completely off on the Wednesday and was unable to train to her full potential as putting her foot in the binding and pressure from skiing was very painful.
Danielle made the jump and trick finals. Team GB won a silver and Danielle won the jump.
You may also want to watch:
This is her last international competition as an under-21 and she will move up to Open age group in January. Danielle has won many medals abroad, but never a gold and never four in one competition so this was by far her best international competition. However, she endured a nightmare in her jump final as the cameras failed.
She recorded fast times so had to have six jumps whereas normally she would have only three – it was on her final jump where she secured first place at 40m.
- 1 Tudor mansion for sale for £2.5m with link to magical Christmas tale
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 How has Wymondham recovered from its coronavirus spike?
- 4 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 5 'Such a shame' - youth football club targeted by criminals twice in two days
- 6 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 7 Howzat? Designer creates 3D printed cricket machine from Norfolk garage
- 8 Rough sleepers' plea to be 'kept inside' as council secures £635k funding
- 9 Carrot gold: Maverick painter swaps screwdriver for vegetable
- 10 Tea room to close for a week after coronavirus case confirmed
Danielle will continue training at Hazelwood Ski World in Lincoln and at Norwich Water Ski Club in readiness for the season's competitions and the Open European Championships in Italy.