Water skiing: International success for Danielle
Wymondham's Danielle Shorten overcame a painful injury to become European and South African Under-21 Jump champion.
The 20-year-old won also bronze medals in tricks and individual overall in the European and South African Water Ski Under-21 Championships.
Danielle, who studying for her BSc Honours Applied Sport, Health & Exercise degree at Norwich City College, has been winter training and spent two weeks in Florida in early March, training for the Europeans.
Along with a team coach, Danielle, one girl and two boys had 15 hours' flying over two flights, arriving on a Sunday and beginning training the following day. Unfortunately she ripped her big toe nail completely off on the Wednesday and was unable to train to her full potential as putting her foot in the binding and pressure from skiing was very painful.
Danielle made the jump and trick finals. Team GB won a silver and Danielle won the jump.
This is her last international competition as an under-21 and she will move up to Open age group in January. Danielle has won many medals abroad, but never a gold and never four in one competition so this was by far her best international competition. However, she endured a nightmare in her jump final as the cameras failed.
She recorded fast times so had to have six jumps whereas normally she would have only three – it was on her final jump where she secured first place at 40m.
- 1 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 2 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 3 'A great day' - Wymondham holds first food and drink festival
- 4 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 5 Wymondham teen wins silver medal at Archery World Cup
- 6 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 7 Road closed in mid Norfolk after electrical cables catch fire
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Football club treasurer stole funds to pay for slimming pills
- 10 Part of A11 to close for overnight repairs following crash
Danielle will continue training at Hazelwood Ski World in Lincoln and at Norwich Water Ski Club in readiness for the season's competitions and the Open European Championships in Italy.