Water skiing: International success for Danielle
Wymondham's Danielle Shorten overcame a painful injury to become European and South African Under-21 Jump champion.
The 20-year-old won also bronze medals in tricks and individual overall in the European and South African Water Ski Under-21 Championships.
Danielle, who studying for her BSc Honours Applied Sport, Health & Exercise degree at Norwich City College, has been winter training and spent two weeks in Florida in early March, training for the Europeans.
Along with a team coach, Danielle, one girl and two boys had 15 hours' flying over two flights, arriving on a Sunday and beginning training the following day. Unfortunately she ripped her big toe nail completely off on the Wednesday and was unable to train to her full potential as putting her foot in the binding and pressure from skiing was very painful.
Danielle made the jump and trick finals. Team GB won a silver and Danielle won the jump.
You may also want to watch:
This is her last international competition as an under-21 and she will move up to Open age group in January. Danielle has won many medals abroad, but never a gold and never four in one competition so this was by far her best international competition. However, she endured a nightmare in her jump final as the cameras failed.
She recorded fast times so had to have six jumps whereas normally she would have only three – it was on her final jump where she secured first place at 40m.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 2 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 3 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 4 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 5 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 8 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 9 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
Danielle will continue training at Hazelwood Ski World in Lincoln and at Norwich Water Ski Club in readiness for the season's competitions and the Open European Championships in Italy.