Tough last game for Rooks
WYMONDHAM played Stalham in their final Anglian Combination Division One game of the season. With both teams struggling with player unavailability an open game was expected.
WYMONDHAM played Stalham in their final Anglian Combination Division One game of the season.
With both teams struggling with player unavailability an open game was expected. The early exchanges were even with both teams struggling to cope with the hard pitch.
Stalham were looking to hit their big striker early with Morphew trying to get blocks in but they were getting some joy from it.
It was Stalham who made the breakthrough. Following a throw-in, the Stalham player turned the Town defence and scuffed a shot into the net.
Town tried to respond and should have got back on level terms. The normally deadly Rackham went clean through but shot agonisingly wide of the target.
Stalham could have extended their lead, after a great cross-field ball, the right-winger volleyed a fine shot under pressure from Williason but keeper Hodges turned it round the post.
- 1 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 2 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 3 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 4 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 5 Drivers facing long delays as A11 roadworks continue
- 6 A11 bus service diverted as ongoing roadworks cause severe delays
- 7 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 8 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 9 Take a look as former Norwich City footballer tours site of 15 new homes
- 10 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
Stalham did extend their lead, Wells made a great recovery tackle but the ball fell kindly to the Stalham substitute who slotted home.
In the second half Town marginally improved but Stalham still managed to extend their lead. A needless free-kick was conceded on the Town right. The ball was floated in and after a knockdown, the Stalham player had the simple task of converting from a yard.
With nothing but pride to play for, Town did pull a goal back. Pipe went on a surging run into the box and was brought down for a soft award. Pipe duly converted.
With renewed hope, Town scored a second. It came directly from a Priest corner which flew over the replacement keeper's head. Town pushed for an equaliser but were caught on the break with a fine shot which found the corner of the net.
Stalham on the day were deserved winners and Town can have no complaints.
MoM: Hill, on a day when no one really performed to their best Hill put in a sound defensive performance.
Final score: 4-2 to Stalham.