Tough last game for Rooks
WYMONDHAM played Stalham in their final Anglian Combination Division One game of the season. With both teams struggling with player unavailability an open game was expected.
WYMONDHAM played Stalham in their final Anglian Combination Division One game of the season.
With both teams struggling with player unavailability an open game was expected. The early exchanges were even with both teams struggling to cope with the hard pitch.
Stalham were looking to hit their big striker early with Morphew trying to get blocks in but they were getting some joy from it.
It was Stalham who made the breakthrough. Following a throw-in, the Stalham player turned the Town defence and scuffed a shot into the net.
You may also want to watch:
Town tried to respond and should have got back on level terms. The normally deadly Rackham went clean through but shot agonisingly wide of the target.
Stalham could have extended their lead, after a great cross-field ball, the right-winger volleyed a fine shot under pressure from Williason but keeper Hodges turned it round the post.
- 1 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 2 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 3 Lotus creates 250 new jobs - but will ditch some models
- 4 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 5 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 6 'Little fighter' Rian battling complex mix of heart conditions
- 7 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 10 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
Stalham did extend their lead, Wells made a great recovery tackle but the ball fell kindly to the Stalham substitute who slotted home.
In the second half Town marginally improved but Stalham still managed to extend their lead. A needless free-kick was conceded on the Town right. The ball was floated in and after a knockdown, the Stalham player had the simple task of converting from a yard.
With nothing but pride to play for, Town did pull a goal back. Pipe went on a surging run into the box and was brought down for a soft award. Pipe duly converted.
With renewed hope, Town scored a second. It came directly from a Priest corner which flew over the replacement keeper's head. Town pushed for an equaliser but were caught on the break with a fine shot which found the corner of the net.
Stalham on the day were deserved winners and Town can have no complaints.
MoM: Hill, on a day when no one really performed to their best Hill put in a sound defensive performance.
Final score: 4-2 to Stalham.