Top battle for Hethersett Hawks
CYCLE SPEEDWAY: Hethersett Hawks/Swinton & Co had a busy week with the highlight being the British U19 Club Championships at Ipswich. They had been drawn in by far the toughest semi-final, and this was proven as they were eliminated by the eventual winners and runners-up.
CYCLE SPEEDWAY: Hethersett Hawks/Swinton & Co had a busy week with the highlight being the British U19 Club Championships at Ipswich.
They had been drawn in by far the toughest semi-final, and this was proven as they were eliminated by the eventual winners and runners-up. Poole set the early pace from Hethersett but Birmingham recovered from a poor start to share the lead with Poole, Hethersett being just two points down, at the break.
Phil Adams slipped after making a fine pass in heat 13 and two third places saw the Hawks drift behind. However, a late rally with Leon Wild and Dan Chambers winning races took it to their last race only for Ben Collins to unfortunately get tangled up. In the end just six points short of a place in the final was a reasonable performance.
Results: Poole 51, Birmingham 47, Hethersett 41, Ipswich 33, Wednesfield 25.
You may also want to watch:
(D Chambers 11, L Wild 11, B Collins 10, P Adams 9, S Grimes - sub, unused).
In the midweek local derby at home to Norwich Hethersett had a weakened team and were beaten by 20 points. Dan Chambers was in good form and there were some good races from Scott Grimes in his first league outing of the season.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 4 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 5 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 6 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 7 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 8 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown
- 9 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 10 Norfolk Covid cases slightly up but below national averages
Hethersett 79, Norwich 99.
(Dan Chambers 19, P Adams 17, D Adams 11, S Grimes 9, Dave Chambers 9, T Grimes 7, C Grimes 4, M Perkins 3).
A much stronger side made the Sunday trip to Kesgrave and they had a convincing win over a home side that contained five promising U16s and U13s. Leon Wild was in good form and Dave Adams looked much improved on new equipment.
Kesgrave 67, Hethersett 113
(L Wild 19, D Martin 17, B Collins 17, D Adams 16, Dan Chambers 15, P Adams 14, Dave Chambers 9, M Perkins 6).
This win will be a big tonic as the Hawks prepare for this coming weekend's European Club Championships in Bury (Lancs) where the Hawks will face top sides from the UK and Poland over three days.