Spirited effort by Wymondham ends in defeat
Wanstead 32, Wymondham 20
RUGBY: Another away defeat for Wymondham but in defeat the whole team can stand tall after a spirited display.
Facing an away-day disaster Wymondham called upon several teenagers, second teamers and debutants to make up a squad for Saturday's trip and they almost delivered a first away win of the season as they looked to be on top with ten to go. But two errors in the last ten saw Wanstead scrape home by 12 points.
Wymondham started brightly and James Wyatt kicked a penalty and then saw another fall just short. Wymondham then had two forays into the Wanstead 22 but the latter was turned over and Paul Cristofoli finished off a 75m turnover. Walmsley doubled Wanstead's lead but Rob Seltzer failed to convert.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Buckham scored his first senior try squeezing over in the corner after some fine work by Stephen Simms and Soul Phoenix, Wyatt converted to level matters. Tom Browe's defensive skills were then called into action when Wanstead opened up close to half time but his last-ditch tackle saved the day.
Wymondham took a five-point lead when Stuart Lowe scored his first try for the club in what was the try of the game. He came in off his wing making a clean break through the midfield and then smashed his way through.
- 1 'Little fighter' Rian battling complex mix of heart conditions
- 2 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 3 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 7 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 8 Egg and Spud Man's delivery service booms in lockdown
- 9 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 10 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
In the second half Wanstead's John Kenlin brought the scores level before Wymondham camped on the home line. Wanstead then conceded several penalties defending. Wanstead finally crumbled and David Blake scored his first try for the club.
Missed tackles and errors now proved costly for Wymondham, one missed tackle in midfield allowed Anthony Fedele to go over, bringing scores level again.
A well-worked try by Walmsley put Wanstead ahead, and as Wymondham tried to counter- attack a dropped pass in midfield gave Gareth Lewis an easy score that Johnny Smith converted.
Wymondham showed some tremendous spirit. There were debuts for John Greenwell and Paul Ruston and a magnificent effort from the four teenagers who filled the breach, and maiden tries for Blake, Buckham and Lowe.