Silver success for Laura McDonald
JUST as many local youngsters were turning their attention to an impending return to school last weekend, athlete Laura McDonald was representing her school, Wymondham High, as a member of the England Schools squad.
She, along with around 1,600 other competitors, were based within the athletes' village at the University of Newcastle campus.
The Sainsbury's UK School games brought together teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England to compete in a four-day competition which included teams from a wide variety of sports.
The overall aim of championship was to replicate a major international multi-sports competition such as the Commonwealth games or the Olympics.
At the Gateshead stadium Laura competed in both the javelin and as part of the 4 by 100m sprint relay team.
You may also want to watch:
Laura, who took the U17 national javelin title a few weeks earlier, competed in the javelin event and secured a worthy silver medal for her team. The following day she joined forces with fellow City of Norwich athlete Clieo Stephenson, Derby runner Yasmin Miller and Birmingham's Melisa Hanson to run a fantastic 4x100m relay.
The team were just pipped at the post by the team from Scotland who finished by a mere 0.03 of a second ahead of them.
- 1 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 2 Man found with cannabis and £1,800 in lockdown, court hears
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 7 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 9 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 10 Greater Anglia pledges to begin Wymondham station improvements this year
All in all, a fantastic season for this young local athlete in what is her first year of national competition.