Silver success for Laura McDonald
JUST as many local youngsters were turning their attention to an impending return to school last weekend, athlete Laura McDonald was representing her school, Wymondham High, as a member of the England Schools squad.
She, along with around 1,600 other competitors, were based within the athletes' village at the University of Newcastle campus.
The Sainsbury's UK School games brought together teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England to compete in a four-day competition which included teams from a wide variety of sports.
The overall aim of championship was to replicate a major international multi-sports competition such as the Commonwealth games or the Olympics.
At the Gateshead stadium Laura competed in both the javelin and as part of the 4 by 100m sprint relay team.
You may also want to watch:
Laura, who took the U17 national javelin title a few weeks earlier, competed in the javelin event and secured a worthy silver medal for her team. The following day she joined forces with fellow City of Norwich athlete Clieo Stephenson, Derby runner Yasmin Miller and Birmingham's Melisa Hanson to run a fantastic 4x100m relay.
The team were just pipped at the post by the team from Scotland who finished by a mere 0.03 of a second ahead of them.
- 1 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 2 Attleborough set to have no bank as Lloyds announces closure
- 3 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Warning to check smoke alarms after family escaped fire
- 8 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 9 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 10 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
All in all, a fantastic season for this young local athlete in what is her first year of national competition.