Rooks hit four goals

Wells 1, Wymondham 4WYMONDHAM made the long trip to Wells looking to get back to winning ways after two successive draws. Town started well and took an early lead.

Wells 1, Wymondham 4

WYMONDHAM made the long trip to Wells looking to get back to winning ways after two successive draws. Town started well and took an early lead.

Priest battled down the left and presented Speller with an opportunity which he duly finished. Town then extended their lead after Rackham closed down the keeper who presented the ball to Speller.

With still a lot to do, he drove into the box and smashed in an unstoppable shot into the corner.

Wells looked lively on break and, following a save from Hodges, Williamson had to clear hastily.

Etheridge and Page were in a physical battle and for the majority were holding up well. With this platform, just before half-time Town nearly made the game safe but Webb's quick free-kick hit the post. Webb and Parry were working hard in midfield.

Most Read

The second half nearly witnessed an amazing goal from Rackham. He shot straight from kick-off and was only denied by an excellent save.

Wells applied some pressure and scored after a run and cross from the right which was tapped in. It was very much 'game on' and Town responded in fine fashion.

Rackham raced down the wing and he crossed to McCloy whose shot dribbled across the line. With a bit of a cushion, at times Town played some good football with both wingers of Priest and Speller playing an important part, with the link-up play between Ramsbottom and Speller being notable.

Fox and Overall were introduced and the latter nearly scored after a cross. Town scored a fourth late with Rackham beating keeper at his near post with a sharp finish following his battling.

MoM: Speller, scored two and contributed much.

Wymondham 1, Horsford 1

Wymondham played host to Horsford United looking to build upon the excellent victory at Wells.

The game started with the visitors pulling the strings and their first opportunity came when their left winger had an excellent strike which hit a post.

Town tried to impose themselves but were being overrun with the back four of Ethridge, Ramsbottom, Williamson and Page being resolute. Horsford got the goal their pressure deserved when their striker took advantage of hesitation in the Town back four and rounded Hodges. Town were grateful to go in only one down. Manager Cracknell made changes, with McCloy and Page making way for Mitchell and Sharp.

The second half was better but Town rarely tested stand-in keeper Gould. Town's goal came from a Priest free-kick when Rackham beat the keeper to the ball and powered in with his head. Horsford had their chances most notably when Nichols slotted home but he was correctly given offside.

The same combination linked together in the last few minutes but this time Rackham headed against the bar. Late on Wells was bought on for Parry but to no avail.

This was a real nothing game with few incidents and a draw would be deemed a fair result.

MoM: Luke Rackham for his goal and work rate.