Rooks hit cup rivals for six

Wymondham thumped six past Hindringham to cruise into the next round of the Norfolk Senior Cup.

Wymondham Town 6, Hindringham 1.

FOR this Norfok Senior Cup tie, Town were able to welcome back Speller, Butler, Overall and Williamson to the squad, with McCloy out injured.

Ramsbottom and Priest both looked dangerous down the wings. Town took the lead when Downs let fire from 25 yards and the ball flew into the back of the net.

This capped another industrious display from the central midfielder.

Most Read

The second quickly followed when Chris O'Brien knocked the ball through to Rackham who smashed the ball home.

The third goal was special. Cracknell played a probing ball from the back, the Hindringham keeper played sweeper but his misguided header found Rackham.

From 30 yards out he skilfully chipped the keeper and the defenders to put Town 3-0 up at half-time.

Town started the second half well and from another long pass from Cracknell, Ramsbottom slotted over the advancing keeper. After a lapse in concentration Hindringham scored.

For a spell after this Hindringham applied some pressure and Priest had to clear off the line.

Town reasserted themselves and the goal machine of Ramsbottom converted again following a through-ball from Downs.

The final goal arrived when Chris O'Brien crossed to Priest who finished well. An excellent team performance with the reward being a trip to Dersingham.

MoM: Downs, opened the scoring and worked tirelessly in midfield.

Aylsham 4, Wymondham Town 0

WYMONDHAM were looking to build on their previous win with a trip to Aylsham in blustery conditions.

Unfortunately this was not the case, as a lacklustre start saw them surrender to an early goal after a defensive error presented Aylsham with an easy tap-in for the opener.

Town seemed to raise their game, if only slightly, but rarely did they trouble the opposition's goalkeeper. With neither side creating any clear-cut chances, the half-time score was 1-0.

After the break Aylsham again started the better side and a 10-minute spell saw them add to their lead with a further three goals.

On of these was a penalty, when the unlucky T Seaman was adjudged to have brought down his man in the box, although it was not much more than an unfortunate tangling of legs.

Nevertheless, Aylsham were worthy of their lead, as Town hardly strung three passes together.

Finally the away side showed a bit more fight and potential when Mantle glanced a post with a low effort after the ball broke free just inside the box, after a neat exchange of passes between Bates and Gray.

The final 20 minutes saw Town having a bit more possession, stroking the ball around, but they were unable to capitalise.

Man of the match was Brendan Gray, who rarely put a foot wrong.