Rooks draw exciting game

St John's 3, Wymondham Town 3WYMONDHAM travelled to play St John's, who are chasing promotion to the Anglian Combination Premier Division, in what turned out to be an eventful match.

St John's 3, Wymondham Town 3

WYMONDHAM travelled to play St John's, who are chasing promotion to the Anglian Combination Premier Division, in what turned out to be an eventful match. The pitch difficult and this hindered both teams.

After some hesitancy in the Town defence the St John's striker rounded Hodges to score, despite the attempts of Williamson. Town fought back strongly and their attitude was summarised by Butler who chased down a lost cause and crossed to Rackham who netted.

Town tested the home keeper on more than one occasion, notably when Speller cut in and produced a good shot and Cracknell from a free-kick.

After the break it was much the same but St John's got the break. A low free-kick was taken, Webb stood up well but the striker produced a great flick and shot into the roof of the net.

Town chased and the lively Speller and Butler excelling. The equaliser was something special as Ramsbottom, Butler and Rackham all combined to enable Ramsbottom to produce a looping header over the keeper.

Most Read

A cruel twist of fate saw an unfortunate own goal put Town behind. With just five minutes left Rackham seized upon a through ball and drilled across the keeper. Town were going for the win and a scramble only just denied them a memorable victory.

Not a footballing masterclass but an exciting game. MoM: Luke Rackham.

Corton 4, Wymondham Town 1

WYMONDHAM made the journey to Corton and did not enjoy the best preparation.

Both Cracknell and Ethridge were unwell and Rackham complained of an injury in the warm-up. Things got worse when McCloy turned his ankle in the first minute and went off injured.

Despite this, Town produced a battling first half performance and came in at the break 0-0. Overall was showing good composure in midfield and Webb supported him with the running. Worryingly Town failed to threaten on the break, although Wells was winning a number of flick-ons which did not quite fall to the battling Rackham.

The second half was disappointing as Town capitulated. The first goal was due to a lack of communication with the striker getting on the end of a misguided header back and rounded Hodges.

The second was controversial as the winger cut in past Williamson but the referee actually blew his whistle, at this point Town hesitated and the ball was placed into the net. To everyone's amazement, the referee awarded the goal, frustratingly with no explanation of his action.

Town showed good character and Speller scored a great goal after cutting in from the left and drilling an excellent shot into the corner.

This should have given Town the impetuous to launch a comeback but almost immediately Corton restored their two-goal cushion.

It came in unlucky circumstances because as Webb cleared, it hit Williamson on the backside and the ball fell to the striker who duly scored.

The fourth and final goal came as Town were appealing for offside, Webb did well to hold up the striker but he got a shot away which produced an excellent save onto the bar from Hodges. Corton reacted quickest to the rebound and slotted home.

One to forget as Town were well beaten on the day but can point to some mitigating circumstances.