Proud moment for Wymondham bowls duo
Two of Wymondham's short mat bowlers managed to get to the final of National Fours championships held at Kempston, Bedford recently.
Debbie Phillips and Chris Mann along with David Lamb of Halvergate and Selwyn Goldsmith of Kirby Bedon progressed out of their group with wins against Derbyshire (9-4) and Essex (8-5).
The knockout stages saw battling wins against Shropshire (8-7) and another Essex block while in the quarter-finals saw them beat Hampshire 7-5.
In the semis the Norfolk four came out against North Yorkshire with a tight and nervy 6-5 win.
After 12 hours of intense bowling the final took its toll on the four as they were eventually beaten in the final by a very strong Oxfordshire side 11-2.
You may also want to watch:
For Mann and Phillips this was their first Nationals final and one of which they can be very proud.
In the final of the Norfolk Cup Wymondham lost out to the formidable Bob Carter side 8-0 but two of the four matches could have gone either way but on the night found the Carter side too strong.
- 1 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 4 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 5 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 6 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 7 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 8 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 9 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 10 Bagpiper lifts spirits for care home residents on Burns Night