Proud moment for Wymondham bowls duo
Two of Wymondham's short mat bowlers managed to get to the final of National Fours championships held at Kempston, Bedford recently.
Debbie Phillips and Chris Mann along with David Lamb of Halvergate and Selwyn Goldsmith of Kirby Bedon progressed out of their group with wins against Derbyshire (9-4) and Essex (8-5).
The knockout stages saw battling wins against Shropshire (8-7) and another Essex block while in the quarter-finals saw them beat Hampshire 7-5.
In the semis the Norfolk four came out against North Yorkshire with a tight and nervy 6-5 win.
After 12 hours of intense bowling the final took its toll on the four as they were eventually beaten in the final by a very strong Oxfordshire side 11-2.
For Mann and Phillips this was their first Nationals final and one of which they can be very proud.
In the final of the Norfolk Cup Wymondham lost out to the formidable Bob Carter side 8-0 but two of the four matches could have gone either way but on the night found the Carter side too strong.
- 1 Café reopens with dog-friendly menu in Wymondham
- 2 Property spotlight: Inside six-bed Grade II listed home for sale for £695k
- 3 Hughes Electrical to close its Wymondham branch
- 4 Chef nominated for best wedding caterer of the year in the UK
- 5 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 6 Man taken to hospital after car crashed into ditch
- 7 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 8 New Co-op branch opening its doors in Wymondham
- 9 Delays and road partially blocked after crash near Wymondham
- 10 A11 reopened after two-vehicle crash