Proud moment for Wymondham bowls duo
Two of Wymondham's short mat bowlers managed to get to the final of National Fours championships held at Kempston, Bedford recently.
Debbie Phillips and Chris Mann along with David Lamb of Halvergate and Selwyn Goldsmith of Kirby Bedon progressed out of their group with wins against Derbyshire (9-4) and Essex (8-5).
The knockout stages saw battling wins against Shropshire (8-7) and another Essex block while in the quarter-finals saw them beat Hampshire 7-5.
In the semis the Norfolk four came out against North Yorkshire with a tight and nervy 6-5 win.
After 12 hours of intense bowling the final took its toll on the four as they were eventually beaten in the final by a very strong Oxfordshire side 11-2.
You may also want to watch:
For Mann and Phillips this was their first Nationals final and one of which they can be very proud.
In the final of the Norfolk Cup Wymondham lost out to the formidable Bob Carter side 8-0 but two of the four matches could have gone either way but on the night found the Carter side too strong.
- 1 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
- 2 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 3 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 4 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 5 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 6 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 7 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 8 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 9 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
- 10 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom