Proud moment for Wymondham bowls duo
Two of Wymondham's short mat bowlers managed to get to the final of National Fours championships held at Kempston, Bedford recently.
Debbie Phillips and Chris Mann along with David Lamb of Halvergate and Selwyn Goldsmith of Kirby Bedon progressed out of their group with wins against Derbyshire (9-4) and Essex (8-5).
The knockout stages saw battling wins against Shropshire (8-7) and another Essex block while in the quarter-finals saw them beat Hampshire 7-5.
In the semis the Norfolk four came out against North Yorkshire with a tight and nervy 6-5 win.
After 12 hours of intense bowling the final took its toll on the four as they were eventually beaten in the final by a very strong Oxfordshire side 11-2.
You may also want to watch:
For Mann and Phillips this was their first Nationals final and one of which they can be very proud.
In the final of the Norfolk Cup Wymondham lost out to the formidable Bob Carter side 8-0 but two of the four matches could have gone either way but on the night found the Carter side too strong.
- 1 Man suffers life-threatening injuries in crash which closed A11 for several hours
- 2 Norfolk coronavirus infection rates fall further
- 3 'Such a shame' - youth football club targeted by criminals twice in two days
- 4 Tea room to close for a week after coronavirus case confirmed
- 5 Why Norfolk districts cannot be in different Covid tiers - yet
- 6 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 7 Call for government to listen to Norfolk over Tier 1 move
- 8 Great British Bake Off star endorses charity's special lockdown recipe book
- 9 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
- 10 Howzat? Designer creates 3D printed cricket machine from Norfolk garage