Penalty enough for Boro win

Attleborough Town 1, Acle United Reserves 0A SINGLE goal was enough to give Attleborough the points in a close-fought encounter with Acle Reserves last weekend.

Attleborough Town 1,

Acle United Reserves 0

A SINGLE goal was enough to give Attleborough the points in a close-fought encounter with Acle Reserves last weekend.

They will hope for more points this weekend, hosting Anglian Combination Division Two basement side Anglian Windows.

March has become a turning point for Boro with an undefeated run extended to four games with this victory. The decisive moment came just five minutes into the second half when David Greenwood stroked a penalty into the net.

The award of the penalty was not without controversy. Jay Webb had been clumsily up-ended as he strode clear of his marker.

Most Read

Whilst there was no doubt it was a foul, the Acle players sensed an injustice claiming that the moment of contact occurred outside the area.

Despite their protestations, the referee was unfazed and the penalty award stood.

The first half of the game saw very few chances. Phil King had the best of the Boro chances but having rounded the keeper could only find the side netting with the unprotected goal at his mercy.

Acle sought to use their wide players as much as possible and Matty Venables and Daniel Appleton had to be alert to this threat.

Boro manager John Vincent made changes after 30 minutes and switched his wide men Webb and Jeckell.

This move almost paid immediate dividends, when Webb beat his marker and forced the Acle keeper into a point-blank save.

The second half had hardly got going when Attleborough took the lead from the penalty spot.

The perceived injustice seemed to galvanise the Acle team as they set about seeking to get back into the game.

Despite renewed determination, Attleborough matched their opponents in all departments and prevented the Acle attackers having a clear sight of goal.

Acle tested the Boro resolve with a series of free kicks and long throw-ins.

On each occasion Cev Edwards and Shaun Waterson were on hand to deal with the danger.

Attleborough continued to pose an attacking threat and were denied a penalty when Phil King was brought down as he rounded the keeper. On this occasion, the referee waved away the appeals.

With the game entering the final few minutes, Acle launched long balls into the Boro area.

However, Boro were not going to be pegged back and held firm to claim the vital points.