Penalties see Rooks through
Wymondham progressed in the League Cup, beating Premier Division Sprowston on penalties after it was 1-1 at the end of extra time.Into the squad from the reserves came Morphew, Page and Felgate, with the latter starting at the heart of the Town defence.
Wymondham progressed in the League Cup, beating Premier Division Sprowston on penalties after it was 1-1 at the end of extra time.
Into the squad from the reserves came Morphew, Page and Felgate, with the latter starting at the heart of the Town defence. Wymondham started off playing some nice football with McCloy and Priest linking up well in midfield. Some half chances were created but nothing of any substance.
Sprowston showed their undoubted quality and took the lead midway through the half. A high hanging ball was put into the box. Hodges came and managed to get something on it but it went straight to a Sprowston player. His shot got deflected straight to a Sprowston player who slotted home from close range.
Wymondham responded with Pattison going close with a 20 yard effort. As the half wore on chances were at a premium at both ends. The score remained the same at the break. Early in the second half Town were forced into a change with Pattison making way for Page.
You may also want to watch:
The game continued as a midfield battle with the quatert of Williamson, Priest, McCloy and Ramsbottom working exceptionally hard, with Williamson on the right putting in some dangerous crosses. Town survived a major scare with 20 minutes to go, the Sprowston player squared to his team-mate but he contrived to miss an open goal. The ball fell straight to keeper Hodges who played a long ball up the field.
A cross came in from the right and McCloy finished on the half-volley. An excellent finish but unfortunately he was injured and had to be replaced by Morphew. With renewed vigour Town nearly scored a sensational goal. Pipe from just inside the opponents' half struck a great shot over the keepers head but it just missed the goal.
- 1 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 8 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 9 Norfolk airfield to host testing of 'world-first' electric plane
- 10 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
The game went to extra time and no further goals were added. This was largely due the finishing back four of Morphew, Page, Etheridge and Felgate, with the hard-working Rackham being pushed into midfield.
The game went to penalties with Pipe, Garwood, Etheridge, and Williamson and Priest all converting, with the unfortunate Sprowston player hitting a post with his effort. MoM: Stuart Felgate came in from the reserves and never missed a tackle or header the whole game.