Pairs battle it out
CONNAUGHT Bowls Club, Attleborough, finished its last short mat competition when 36 players entered the Thurgood Shield for two-wood pairs. Derek Liles and Peter Hambling were a solid combination who beat Sheila Bragg and John Askew in the final.
CONNAUGHT Bowls Club, Attleborough, finished its last short mat competition when 36 players entered the Thurgood Shield for two-wood pairs.
Derek Liles and Peter Hambling were a solid combination who beat Sheila Bragg and John Askew in the final.
One or two external competitions remain and some people will continue playing in the summer on the county circuit. Otherwise, attention is turning towards the outdoor season. The club's green opens on Saturday with a drive, 2pm registration.
There is the usual extensive playing programme during the club's 25th anniversary season.
Two men's sides are entered in the EBA county leagues, Connaught A in South One and Connaught B in Central Three.
One ladies' side plays in the Breckland League and four sides will play in the Ashill Mixed Triples League.
- 1 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 2 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 3 Engineers on scene after parts of Wymondham suffer power cut
- 4 MP's intervention on plans for massive poultry farm
- 5 Mother's anger at delays to bathroom repairs
- 6 'We want an end to it' - Wymondham's plea over Abbey row
- 7 Overnight road closures on A11 as road resurfacing works continue
- 8 Hughes Electrical to close its Wymondham branch
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 Café reopens with dog-friendly menu in Wymondham
In addition the club has entered various cup competitions. Individuals have entered national and county competitions.
To celebrate the 25th anniversary a small competition, involving opponents of long standing, will take place on May 18 and
August 31. Connaught Men will play an Eastern Region EBA side.
Internally, the club is running a Thursday/Friday evening league for which over 50 players have entered so far. Entries for the club championships also are very good.
On the purely social side, roll-ups will take place on Monday evenings, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and Saturday evenings.
Coaching sessions for new members and members of the public are being arranged.