Pairs battle it out
CONNAUGHT Bowls Club, Attleborough, finished its last short mat competition when 36 players entered the Thurgood Shield for two-wood pairs. Derek Liles and Peter Hambling were a solid combination who beat Sheila Bragg and John Askew in the final.
CONNAUGHT Bowls Club, Attleborough, finished its last short mat competition when 36 players entered the Thurgood Shield for two-wood pairs.
Derek Liles and Peter Hambling were a solid combination who beat Sheila Bragg and John Askew in the final.
One or two external competitions remain and some people will continue playing in the summer on the county circuit. Otherwise, attention is turning towards the outdoor season. The club's green opens on Saturday with a drive, 2pm registration.
There is the usual extensive playing programme during the club's 25th anniversary season.
Two men's sides are entered in the EBA county leagues, Connaught A in South One and Connaught B in Central Three.
One ladies' side plays in the Breckland League and four sides will play in the Ashill Mixed Triples League.
- 1 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 2 21-year-old who sought mental health help died during Covid isolation
- 3 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 4 'A great day' - Wymondham holds first food and drink festival
- 5 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 6 Wymondham teen wins silver medal at Archery World Cup
- 7 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 8 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 9 Road closed in mid Norfolk after electrical cables catch fire
- 10 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
In addition the club has entered various cup competitions. Individuals have entered national and county competitions.
To celebrate the 25th anniversary a small competition, involving opponents of long standing, will take place on May 18 and
August 31. Connaught Men will play an Eastern Region EBA side.
Internally, the club is running a Thursday/Friday evening league for which over 50 players have entered so far. Entries for the club championships also are very good.
On the purely social side, roll-ups will take place on Monday evenings, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and Saturday evenings.
Coaching sessions for new members and members of the public are being arranged.