Norfolk Academy of Gymnastics’ Annie Young takes gold at British Championships in Liverpool
- Credit: Alan Edwards
A talented young gymnast from Norwich made headlines this weekend by winning a gold medal at a major gymnastics event in Liverpool.
Annie Young from the Norfolk Academy of Gymnastics became British vault champion in the hotly-contested junior category on Sunday at the 2019 Artistic British Championships, which took place at Liverpool's M&S Bank Arena. The Wymondham High Academy student also came second in the all-around competition and won a silver medal on bars.
The 14-year-old said: 'It feels absolutely amazing to be British champion. I've had loads of support this weekend, with my family and friends here cheering me on.
'I will become a senior next year so I'm hoping for a smooth transition and to get close to where the other girls are.'
The major event saw 490 participants from 91 clubs take part in the four-day gymnastics spectacular, with youngsters travelling from all across the UK to compete.
You may also want to watch:
The age of the gymnasts taking part ranged from 11 to 33 years old. Competitors also included five-time Olympic medallist Max Whitlock MBE, who successfully defended his British pommel horse title.
Also competing was former European champion and newly crowned British all-around champion Ellie Downie, along with four-time Commonwealth champion Claudia Fragapane, who returned from injury to take silver on floor.
- 1 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 2 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 3 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 4 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 5 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 6 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 7 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 8 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 9 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom
- 10 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
A nine-time major championship medallist, 19-year-old Downie is one of the most successful female artistic gymnasts in British history.
She said: 'It's been fantastic to see so many superb young gymnasts competing this week. They've been able show off their skills, compete in a world-class venue and know that all of their hard work has paid off.'
Jane Allen, Chief Executive of British Gymnastics said: 'It's been a remarkable four days at this year's Artistic British Championships in Liverpool.
'I've really enjoyed seeing so many of the established names sharing the Arena with up-and-coming stars. The talent on display has been phenomenal and I'm very excited to see what the future looks like for gymnastics in Britain.'