New covers get lots of use at Melton
Great Melton (11 points) played out a losing draw with Swardeston B at Melton Park in the Frankly Digital Norfolk Alliance Division Three.
On a rain-ravaged day that saw the new covers at Melton Park wheeled on and off with tedious regularity, Great Melton battled hard against a competitive Swardeston side in a game reduced to 60 overs because of poor weather.
Swardeston batted first and posted 174 for five.
Ben Shearing led the way with an aggressive 45 that featured two sixes and four fours and there were useful knocks from Ben Hogg (29 not out), Rob Ebbage (24) and Will Kennard (23 not out).
Nick Gristwood and Ollie Harris were the pick of Melton's bowlers taking two for 42 and two for 31 respectively.
Melton's reply was typically solid, as the now-familiar partnership of Alex Cooper and Richard Wood put on 95 for the first wicket in 19 overs before Cooper (45) was dismissed by namesake Kevin Cooper, and Wood (43) followed, caught and bowled by veteran Horrex.
Martyn Cook (10), promoted up the order to number three in search of quick runs, briefly threatened with two well-struck boundaries but Melton lost wickets all too frequently and were unable to build a partnership against some good, disciplined bowling by the Swardeston team.
- 1 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 2 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 3 'A great day' - Wymondham holds first food and drink festival
- 4 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 5 Wymondham teen wins silver medal at Archery World Cup
- 6 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 7 Road closed in mid Norfolk after electrical cables catch fire
- 8 Football club treasurer stole funds to pay for slimming pills
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 10 Part of A11 to close for overnight repairs following crash
Fourteen-year-old Chris Greenslade (12) looked assured and positive, but he, like those before him, perished in pursuit of quick runs.
So, in the end, Melton had to be content with reaching 90 per cent, which they achieved in the last over of the innings, and to bat out for the draw.
Swardeston B: J Martin b Harris 18, M Hogg b Gristwood 12, R Ebbage b Sibert 24, K Cooper b Harris 2, B Shearing c Wood b Gristwood 45, B Hogg not out 29, W Kennard not out 23; extras 21. Total (5 wkts):174. Bowling: N Gristwood 8-1-41-2, M Scott 3-0-16-0, O Harris 8-2-31-2, M Sibert 7-0-52-1, J Rice 4-0-29-0.
Great Melton: A Cooper c Ebbage b Cooper 45, R Wood, c-b Horrex 43, M Cook c Martin b Cooper 10, M Bunn c M Hogg b Cooper 12, C Greenslade c Shearing b Horrex 12, M Sibert b Horrex 3, J Rice not out 5, M Scott not out 11; extras 20. Total (7 wkts):161. Bowling: D Drepaulsingh 4-1-21-0, S Eadala 6-0-21-0, B Shearing 6-1-35-0, D Horrex 8-0-46-3, K Cooper 6-0-30-3.