New covers get lots of use at Melton
Great Melton (11 points) played out a losing draw with Swardeston B at Melton Park in the Frankly Digital Norfolk Alliance Division Three.
On a rain-ravaged day that saw the new covers at Melton Park wheeled on and off with tedious regularity, Great Melton battled hard against a competitive Swardeston side in a game reduced to 60 overs because of poor weather.
Swardeston batted first and posted 174 for five.
Ben Shearing led the way with an aggressive 45 that featured two sixes and four fours and there were useful knocks from Ben Hogg (29 not out), Rob Ebbage (24) and Will Kennard (23 not out).
Nick Gristwood and Ollie Harris were the pick of Melton's bowlers taking two for 42 and two for 31 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Melton's reply was typically solid, as the now-familiar partnership of Alex Cooper and Richard Wood put on 95 for the first wicket in 19 overs before Cooper (45) was dismissed by namesake Kevin Cooper, and Wood (43) followed, caught and bowled by veteran Horrex.
Martyn Cook (10), promoted up the order to number three in search of quick runs, briefly threatened with two well-struck boundaries but Melton lost wickets all too frequently and were unable to build a partnership against some good, disciplined bowling by the Swardeston team.
- 1 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 2 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 3 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 4 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 5 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 6 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 7 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 8 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 9 Norfolk sports retailer opens new fitness showroom
- 10 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
Fourteen-year-old Chris Greenslade (12) looked assured and positive, but he, like those before him, perished in pursuit of quick runs.
So, in the end, Melton had to be content with reaching 90 per cent, which they achieved in the last over of the innings, and to bat out for the draw.
Swardeston B: J Martin b Harris 18, M Hogg b Gristwood 12, R Ebbage b Sibert 24, K Cooper b Harris 2, B Shearing c Wood b Gristwood 45, B Hogg not out 29, W Kennard not out 23; extras 21. Total (5 wkts):174. Bowling: N Gristwood 8-1-41-2, M Scott 3-0-16-0, O Harris 8-2-31-2, M Sibert 7-0-52-1, J Rice 4-0-29-0.
Great Melton: A Cooper c Ebbage b Cooper 45, R Wood, c-b Horrex 43, M Cook c Martin b Cooper 10, M Bunn c M Hogg b Cooper 12, C Greenslade c Shearing b Horrex 12, M Sibert b Horrex 3, J Rice not out 5, M Scott not out 11; extras 20. Total (7 wkts):161. Bowling: D Drepaulsingh 4-1-21-0, S Eadala 6-0-21-0, B Shearing 6-1-35-0, D Horrex 8-0-46-3, K Cooper 6-0-30-3.