Morley win cup penalties thriller
Morley Village 1, Nostro 1 (Morley win on pens)MORLEY Village pro-gressed to the final of the Primary League Cup this weekend after a close fought game was decided by a penalty shoot-out.
Morley Village 1, Nostro 1 (Morley win on pens)
MORLEY Village pro-gressed to the final of the Primary League Cup this weekend after a close fought game was decided by a penalty shoot-out.
The evenness of the contest was no surprise as the two league encounters with Nostro this season have both ended in shared spoils.
The first half was a scrappy affair with possession changing frequently and neither side getting clear chances to test the keepers.
You may also want to watch:
Morley were making good use of their flanks with Chris Fraser and Matt Myhill giving the Nostro full-backs plenty to think about.
In contrast, Nostro's direct style was keeping Shaun Clark and Steve Hendrie busy with long balls directed towards the front two whose movement and pace threatened to create chances.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 See inside this restored period farmhouse for sale for £850,000
- 3 Mum's 100 mile challenge fulfils promise to late daughter
- 4 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 5 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
- 6 Parents share their stories as fertility clinic celebrates 1,000 births
- 7 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 8 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
With neither side taking control of the game, it was no surprise that the first half ended goalless.
Morley started the second half as the stronger of the two teams continuing to use the width of the pitch.
The first chance fell to Jon Evans, who broke clear only to see his shot roll agonisingly past the post following the slightest of touches from the Nostro keeper.
When the deadlock was broken it favoured Nostro.
A lumped clearance fell kindly to the Nostro striker who squirmed past the backtracking defenders before stroking the ball past Sturman in goal.
Morley replied within five minutes. Despite looking second best to win possession Evans managed to seize ball before smashing it past the static keeper.
Morley continued to pressurise with James Hendrie linking well with Matty Myhill to create opportunities. Despite all the pressure, there was an inevitability of the game ending and going into extra-time.
Extra-time provided few chances and the interruption of a serious injury to a Nostro player saw the game move to a penalty shoot-out.
Two saves from Martyn Sturman and goals from Chris Fraser, Sean Clarke, Steve Littleproud and Sokol Topalli gave Morley victory and the right to face Thetford Rovers Reserves in the final.