Melton's good form continues
In Norfolk League Division Three Great Melton B continued their good form with another victory.This time it was over Saham Toney A, but at 64 for six, it looked like being anything but a good day at the office.
In Norfolk League Division Three Great Melton B continued their good form with another victory.
This time it was over Saham Toney A, but at 64 for six, it looked like being anything but a good day at the office.
With the top three of Phil Lachowycz (4), Owen Taylor (2) and Nick Gristwood (0) all falling cheaply, it was left to skipper Jon Moxon (26) to get some runs on the board.
When he was out, quickly followed by Steve Clarke (10) and David Bunn (4), Melton looked in real trouble but the strength in depth in their batting saw them launch a recovery.
You may also want to watch:
Craig Hepple started it off with a well-run 25 and veteran campaigners Henry Wanchoo and Grenville Ireland batted sensibly to take Melton to 162 for nine.
Wanchoo, making his first appearance of the season having moved away, scored 28, Ireland 18 and Chris Wardale hit nine valuable runs at the end. R Palmer (12-1-27-3) was Saham Toney's best bowler.
- 1 Former factory site to become a new church
- 2 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 3 Woodforde's takes over Old Buckenham pub closed for two years
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 8 See inside this restored period farmhouse for sale for £850,000
- 9 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 10 Chainsaw and 10 horse saddles stolen in burglary
It wasn't a big score to defend, but with Wanchoo and Ireland as effective with the ball as they had been with the bat, it was too much for the visitors.
After lively opening spells by Wardale (5-0-18-0) and Hepple (6-2-13-1), Wanchoo and Ireland tied the batsmen down and took wickets at regular intervals as Saham Toney were bowled out for 104.
Wanchoo completed a good all-round performance with excellent figures of 10-4-16-2 and Ireland weighed in with four for 38 from his 12 overs.