Magnificent seven for Ottaway
John Ottaway, of Wymondham Dell, has won the Norfolk County (EBA) Association Championships singles title for a record seventh time.He beat Robert Bunting (North Walsham) 21-10 in the finals held at Norfolk Bowls Club.
John Ottaway, of Wymondham Dell, has won the Norfolk County (EBA) Association Championships singles title for a record seventh time.
He beat Robert Bunting (North Walsham) 21-10 in the finals held at Norfolk Bowls Club.
The win takes Ottaway one ahead of the previous record holder Chris Ward.
Ottaway said: “I knew if I managed to win I would overtake Chris but I was really only concentrating on the game itself. Chris has a great record not only in the singles but in other events and it's a tremendous thrill to think I have beaten his singles record.”
You may also want to watch:
The junior singles saw John Tufts, of Hingham, play Jake Willgress, Norfolk BC, the younger brother of national triples winner Wayne.
After even early exchanges Tufts pulled ahead to take a convincing 20-9 lead in the first-to-21 game.
- 1 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 5 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 6 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 8 Norfolk airfield to host testing of 'world-first' electric plane
- 9 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 10 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
However, Willgress showed tremendous fighting spirit to pull the score back to 20-19 before John scored the shot he needed to take the title.
The winners and runners-up go on to represent Norfolk in the Bowls England National Championships at Worthing in August.
The winners also represent Norfolk in the Eastern Counties Championships, which culminate in the finals day at Hopton BC, in Suffolk, in September.
Singles: John Ottaway (Wymondham Dell) 21, Robert Bunting (North Walsham) 10.
Pairs: Jamie Howlett and Paul Webb (Acle) 28, Brian Taylor and Philip Barr (County Arts) 21.
Triples: Mervyn King, Paul Shackcloth and Jamie Chestney 18, Nigel Coverdale, Danny Page and Stephen Ellis (Cawston) 13.
Fours: John Sewell, Derek Kellow, Robert Aves and Peter Boldero (Downham Market) 20, Mark Turner, Clive Derry, Micky Brown and Trevor Jermy (County Arts) 10.
Junior singles: John Tufts (Hingham) 21, Jake Willgress (Norfolk BC) 19.