Magnificent seven for Ottaway
John Ottaway, of Wymondham Dell, has won the Norfolk County (EBA) Association Championships singles title for a record seventh time.He beat Robert Bunting (North Walsham) 21-10 in the finals held at Norfolk Bowls Club.
John Ottaway, of Wymondham Dell, has won the Norfolk County (EBA) Association Championships singles title for a record seventh time.
He beat Robert Bunting (North Walsham) 21-10 in the finals held at Norfolk Bowls Club.
The win takes Ottaway one ahead of the previous record holder Chris Ward.
Ottaway said: “I knew if I managed to win I would overtake Chris but I was really only concentrating on the game itself. Chris has a great record not only in the singles but in other events and it's a tremendous thrill to think I have beaten his singles record.”
The junior singles saw John Tufts, of Hingham, play Jake Willgress, Norfolk BC, the younger brother of national triples winner Wayne.
After even early exchanges Tufts pulled ahead to take a convincing 20-9 lead in the first-to-21 game.
- 1 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 2 A11 closure to continue as roadworks finally begin
- 3 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 4 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 5 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 6 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recessions, a fire and a pandemic: Landlords look back on 20 years at pub
- 10 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
However, Willgress showed tremendous fighting spirit to pull the score back to 20-19 before John scored the shot he needed to take the title.
The winners and runners-up go on to represent Norfolk in the Bowls England National Championships at Worthing in August.
The winners also represent Norfolk in the Eastern Counties Championships, which culminate in the finals day at Hopton BC, in Suffolk, in September.
Singles: John Ottaway (Wymondham Dell) 21, Robert Bunting (North Walsham) 10.
Pairs: Jamie Howlett and Paul Webb (Acle) 28, Brian Taylor and Philip Barr (County Arts) 21.
Triples: Mervyn King, Paul Shackcloth and Jamie Chestney 18, Nigel Coverdale, Danny Page and Stephen Ellis (Cawston) 13.
Fours: John Sewell, Derek Kellow, Robert Aves and Peter Boldero (Downham Market) 20, Mark Turner, Clive Derry, Micky Brown and Trevor Jermy (County Arts) 10.
Junior singles: John Tufts (Hingham) 21, Jake Willgress (Norfolk BC) 19.