Ladies reach cup semi-final
WYMONDHAM Town Ladies reached the semi-finals of the Norfolk and Suffolk County Football Cup after a fine 4-1 victory over Brantham Athletic.Even before the whistle blew, Town had to reshuffle the team with top scorer, Helen, injured and centre half, Rachael, out through illness.
WYMONDHAM Town Ladies reached the semi-finals of the Norfolk and Suffolk County Football Cup after a fine 4-1 victory over Brantham Athletic.
Even before the whistle blew, Town had to reshuffle the team with top scorer, Helen, injured and centre half, Rachael, out through illness. Brantham only turned up with 10 players and Town adapted their formation.
Town started brightly and tried to spread the play but Brantham didn't hold back in their challenges and played route one all the time.
In the 20th minute, Woody turned neatly on the edge of the box and fired home into the far corner. The lead was short lived and within a minute a long ball was played over the defence and a bobble allowed Brantham to equalise.
You may also want to watch:
Brantham now had a good 10 minute spell. Town's passing game was being affected by the pitch but they were still controlling the game. Ten minutes before half time a fine move down the right was played 12 yards out and Polly coolly passed it into the corner of the net.
Town upped their game in the second half, with Larke marshalling Vicki and Emily at the back and sniffing out any signs of danger. The midfield were back to their normal formation with Rumble, Woody and Louise played the ball around and Swanny and Polly showing skills down the flanks. Jenna and Lois were working tirelessly up front but Wymondham just couldn't get a third goal.
- 1 Primary pupils thrilled by book donation
- 2 Cattle farmers and butchers create super-local food chain
- 3 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 4 Bakeaholics teen owner buys herself a whopping new kitchen
- 5 Cyclists set for 112-mile night ride in aid of 'always happy' Olivia, 7
- 6 WATCH: Speedy Eva, 81, runs fastest mile on record for her age group
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 8 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 9 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 10 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
Sarah came on with 25 minutes left and showed bravery, diving in at player's feet.
With 20 minutes left, Lois broke down the right and crossed the ball to Jenna, who showed great skill to volley the ball over the keeper. Only eight minutes later Jenna scored the fourth of the game when she picked the ball up outside the box and smashed it into the far corner. Helen came on in the last 10 minutes and almost grabbed a fifth.
Final score 4-1.
A great team performance with Polly grabbing player of the match on her debut.
Wymondham now face Ipswich Town on March 16.