Hethersett & Tas Valley facing complicated promotion battle
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Hethersett & Tas Valley face a fortnight of opportunity as they continue to press for promotion from Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance.
A four-wicket win at Swaffham set up a mouth-watering promotion clash at home to Beccles this Saturday.
Valley's promotion push has taken on a complex nature, however. To go up they will have to firstly defeat Beccles, secondly take as many bonus points as possible, thirdly restrict their opponents to as few bonus points as possible and fourthly win their final match at Great Witchingham A in style.
Whatever happens Valley have enjoyed a fine season, exceeding expectations and bringing a number of young players into the team. They are currently 20 points behind Beccles and 22 behind leaders Topcroft who finish their season with a visit to Bradenham and a home game against Ashmanhaugh and Barton Wanderers.
The match at Swaffham turned out to be a low scoring and slightly nervy affair. Valley looked on target for a resounding win when they bowled their visitors out for just 117. Swaffham looked on target for a good score at 55-2 but, then some excellent bowling from Robbie Matthews (3-3), Ian Bryce (2-21) and John Curtis (polishing off the tail with 3-8) saw them flounder.
Valley started well with Ian Bryce (27) and Robbie Matthews (27) putting on 39 for the first wicket. Wickets then fell at an alarming rate before skipper Damian Fahy (21) steadied the ship and helped his side to a winning total of 121-6.
Hethersett A went down to Rocklands by 14 runs in Norfolk Alliance Division Four, although any relegation threats are now well behind them. Rocklands hit 211-4 and Valley replied with 197 all out.
- 1 Man assaults delivery driver and runs off with sack of parcels
- 2 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 3 Motorcyclist suffers serious leg injury and person cut from car after crash
- 4 Lotus reopens Norfolk test-track driving experiences and factory tour
- 5 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 6 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 7 Norfolk cricketer plays 1000th game - months after rare virus
- 8 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 9 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 10 9 major jubilee events taking place across Norfolk
This week the A team were without a game.
Valley B had a good 44-run victory over Rocklands. Hethersett hit 177-6 with Luke Mathews scoring 95. They then bowled out the opposition for 133 with Cameron Clarke taking 5-12 and Devin Bellchamber 3-28.
This weekend the B team are home to Reepham and Salle.
Valley C went down to Diss by 113 runs. Diss hit 288 with two wickets each for Sanjeewa Jayakody, Senuja Jayakody, Leo Sargent and Lucy Morton. Hethersett replied with 175-8 with Alex Girdlestone hitting 53. This weekend they visit Garboldisham.