Hethersett cricket in spotlight
Hethersett and Tas Valley are beginning to mount a serious promotion push from Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance following their first win of the season on Saturday.
A three-wicket victory at Hillington pushed them into fifth place in a very tight division, just seven points behind leaders Dereham and five behind second-placed Downham.
This week Hethersett are home to Garboldisham who are one place above them.
On Saturday they skittled out bottom club Hillington for just 156 in 40 overs with Mark Gricks returning figures of 5-30. Julian Emeny took 2-38 and Phil Walmsley 2-12.
Hethersett didn't have it all their own way when they batted and took 37 overs to reach their target, losing seven wickets in the process. Opener Simon Redhead hit 40 and Nick Burrett 41 as Hethersett reached 158-7.
You may also want to watch:
Hethersett and Tas Valley Seconds also recorded their first victory of the season to move up to sixth place in Norfolk Alliance Division Four. Hethersett started well against Norwich Thirds with openers Stephen Hayes and Rob Mitchell putting on over 80 for the first wicket. Hayes went for 30 and Mitchell eventually for 65 as wickets began to tumble.
- 1 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
- 2 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 3 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 4 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 5 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 6 Two cars involved in crash on A11 slip road
- 7 'He would light up a room' - Tributes to community stalwart, Ian Harrison
- 8 Attleborough gas work road closures postponed until after Christmas
- 9 Road closed after tractor trailor overturns near Wymondham
- 10 Amazing drone footage shows Flying Scotsman travelling through Norfolk
Tony Wenham (22) and youngster Joel Howard (16) stopped the slump as Hethersett posted a respectable 211 all out in 43.2 overs.
Norwich started well before Matt Steward took over, removing the first three batsmen to finish with figures of 3-30. He was well supported by Howard who bowled exceptionally well to tie the batsmen down, finishing with 1-21 and Lee King came on for an impressive spell that saw him take 4-27 as Norwich slumped to 155 all out in the final over to give Hethersett a 56-run victory.
This week the Seconds visit Thetford Town.
Hethersett and Tas Valley Thirds lost to Old Buckenham Fourths by 15 runs. Old Buckenham hit 256 in 43 overs with Oliver Hutt taking 4-28. Hethersett replied with 241-5 off their 45 overs with opener Ross Jones hitting an unbeaten 116 and youngster Joseph Wilson 41.
Hethersett are through to the second round of the Bernard Matthews 20-20 Trophy after a 25-run victory over Chapelfield.
Hethersett hit 179-5 with Rob Mitchell in sparkling form with 82. He was well supported by Richard Ellis (25) and Jack Smith (19). In reply, Chapelfield scored 154-6 with Devin Bellchamber taking 2-41 and Lee King 2-20.
This Sunday Hethersett and Tas Valley visit Mattishall in the second round of the Carter Cup, having been given a walkover in the first round when opponents Cromer pulled out.