Heavy defeat for Ellingham
Ellingham hosted Thetford this past Sunday in the Mid Norfolk League Derek Cousins Division Two.and lost by eight wickets. No sooner than play had started and Ellingham once again were in trouble.
Ellingham hosted Thetford this past Sunday in the Mid Norfolk League Derek Cousins Division Two.and lost by eight wickets.
No sooner than play had started and Ellingham once again were in trouble.
After winning the toss and electing to bat Ellingham were reeling at 21-3 after a devastating early burst from Greyson (2-7). It was up to the middle order to provide some stability and rebuild their innings.
Whiddett (17) and Allum (56) came together in difficult circumstances and attempted to start again. After Whiddett's removal a brief flury from Glover and then an excellent counter attack was led by Oxborough (37) as Ellingham's sixth wicket partnership amassed 80.
Finally captain Smith (21no) bludgeoned quickfire runs as Ellingham posted 179 for 7. The leg spinners Conroy (0-39) and Terry (2-39) were the other picks of the Thetford attack.
In reply Thetford got off to a flyer playing risky and attacking strokes and raced towards 50 within five overs. Richards (22) and Kerling (28) put on runs in double quick time.
- 1 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 2 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 3 Engineers on scene after parts of Wymondham suffer power cut
- 4 Mother's anger at delays to bathroom repairs
- 5 MP's intervention on plans for massive poultry farm
- 6 'We want an end to it' - Wymondham's plea over Abbey row
- 7 Overnight road closures on A11 as road resurfacing works continue
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Café reopens with dog-friendly menu in Wymondham
- 10 Property spotlight: Inside six-bed Grade II listed home for sale for £695k
After some nearer misses R Conroy (53no) and L Conroy (62no) allowed Thetford to canter home to victory inside 30 overs by a margin of eight wickets.
Whiddett (2-32) was Ellingham's best bowler and young Chris Reeve (0-12) also bowled with maturity in a testing situation. Ellingham face a long journey to Sandringham next.
Great Ellingham: R Ewin c Richards b Phelps 8, A Cooper c R Conroy b Greyson 0, L Whiddett b Terry 17, J Lincoln b Greyson 6, D Allum run out 56, B Glover c Phelps b Terry 9, C Oxborough run out 37, R Smith not out 21; extras 25. Total (7 wkts) 179. Bowling: D Phelps 8-0-42-1, L Greyson 6-2-7-2, N Colman 3-0-11-0, M Terry 10-1-39-2, L Conroy 9-1-39-0, S Richards 4-0-34-0.
Thetford: S Richards lbw Whiddett 22, A Kerling b Whiddett 28, R Conroy not out 53, L Conroy not out 62; extras 17. Total (2 wkts) 182. Bowling: M Standley 2-0-18-0, B Glover 1-0-8-0, L Whiddett 8-1-27-2, C Oxborough 9-1-65-0, R Smith 5-0-33-0, C Reeve 3-0-12-0, D Allum 0.4-0-4-0.