Heavy defeat for Ellingham
Ellingham hosted Thetford this past Sunday in the Mid Norfolk League Derek Cousins Division Two.and lost by eight wickets. No sooner than play had started and Ellingham once again were in trouble.
Ellingham hosted Thetford this past Sunday in the Mid Norfolk League Derek Cousins Division Two.and lost by eight wickets.
No sooner than play had started and Ellingham once again were in trouble.
After winning the toss and electing to bat Ellingham were reeling at 21-3 after a devastating early burst from Greyson (2-7). It was up to the middle order to provide some stability and rebuild their innings.
Whiddett (17) and Allum (56) came together in difficult circumstances and attempted to start again. After Whiddett's removal a brief flury from Glover and then an excellent counter attack was led by Oxborough (37) as Ellingham's sixth wicket partnership amassed 80.
You may also want to watch:
Finally captain Smith (21no) bludgeoned quickfire runs as Ellingham posted 179 for 7. The leg spinners Conroy (0-39) and Terry (2-39) were the other picks of the Thetford attack.
In reply Thetford got off to a flyer playing risky and attacking strokes and raced towards 50 within five overs. Richards (22) and Kerling (28) put on runs in double quick time.
- 1 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 2 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 3 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 4 Inquests into deaths at Banham Poultry adjourned for seventh time
- 5 Concerns raised over proposed energy park's impact on wildlife
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Your photos as blanket of snow covers Wymondham and Attleborough
- 8 Donations mean 13 vulnerable children will get laptops at home
- 9 Greater Anglia pledges to begin Wymondham station improvements this year
- 10 Calls for new hardship fund amid Covid impact and tax rise
After some nearer misses R Conroy (53no) and L Conroy (62no) allowed Thetford to canter home to victory inside 30 overs by a margin of eight wickets.
Whiddett (2-32) was Ellingham's best bowler and young Chris Reeve (0-12) also bowled with maturity in a testing situation. Ellingham face a long journey to Sandringham next.
Great Ellingham: R Ewin c Richards b Phelps 8, A Cooper c R Conroy b Greyson 0, L Whiddett b Terry 17, J Lincoln b Greyson 6, D Allum run out 56, B Glover c Phelps b Terry 9, C Oxborough run out 37, R Smith not out 21; extras 25. Total (7 wkts) 179. Bowling: D Phelps 8-0-42-1, L Greyson 6-2-7-2, N Colman 3-0-11-0, M Terry 10-1-39-2, L Conroy 9-1-39-0, S Richards 4-0-34-0.
Thetford: S Richards lbw Whiddett 22, A Kerling b Whiddett 28, R Conroy not out 53, L Conroy not out 62; extras 17. Total (2 wkts) 182. Bowling: M Standley 2-0-18-0, B Glover 1-0-8-0, L Whiddett 8-1-27-2, C Oxborough 9-1-65-0, R Smith 5-0-33-0, C Reeve 3-0-12-0, D Allum 0.4-0-4-0.