Hawks third in fours event
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton & Co cycle speedway team took part in the TA Security South-East Cup Fours at Harford Park and finished third in both the Senior and Junior events.
An early exclusion for Dave Martin pegged the Hawks back in the Senior event but he and Phil Adams rode well to keep the side in touch with second-placed Ipswich while Great Blakenham stormed away to victory.
Great Blakenham 63, Ipswich 38, Hethersett 35, Norwich 19 (P Adams 11, D Martin 9, R Carter 8, Dave Chambers 7).
In the junior event Calvin Grimes was the pick of the bunch with some good passes but his stamina was affected by a heavy cold.
Ipswich 61, Norwich 46, Hethersett 37 (Calvin Grimes 10, C Larwood 9, Calvin Grimes 9, S Grimes 7, J Matthews 2).
You may also want to watch:
Two Hethersett riders competed in the final South-East Grand Prix at Great Blakenham. Oliver Buxton finished sixth in the U16 after finishing second in a race-off for the A Final. Mel Perkins narrowly avoided a falling rider in the Vets' final to finish second and the 20 points secured in that gave him fourth place overall in the series.
This weekend Hawks riders are involved in some international challenge matches at Harford Park on Saturday while the A and B teams are at East London on Sunday for their final League matches of the season.
- 1 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 2 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 3 Egg and Spud Man's delivery service booms in lockdown
- 4 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 5 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 6 Norwich teacher questions home secretary over Covid policy in schools
- 7 Council agrees u-turn on churchyard grass cutting
- 8 Date for museum's reopening 'pencilled in' after missing whole 2020 season
- 9 New Covid variant has 'higher degree of mortality', warns PM
- 10 People with Covid could get £500 to stay at home