Hawks in good tussle on track
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton cycle speedway team had a good tussle with their local neighbours, Norwich, in the South East League at Eaton Park. Trying more positive tactics in the early heats failed to reap benefits and they trailed by 11 points at half-time.
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton cycle speedway team had a good tussle with their local neighbours, Norwich, in the South East League at Eaton Park.
Trying more positive tactics in the early heats failed to reap benefits and they trailed by 11 points at half-time. A good rally in the second half, led by Phil Adams and Harley Hamill, saw the Hawks shade the half. Roger Carter also did well on his return to the first team.
Norwich 93, Hethersett 86. P Adams 17, H Hamill 16, D Adams 14, Dan Chambers 12, R Carter 9, S Grimes 7, T Grimes 4, Dave Chambers 3, O Buxton 2, Calvin Grimes 2.
Nine Hethersett riders took part in the South-East Grand Prix at Hethersett, which attracted over 50 riders from Suffolk and Essex. Best home performances came from Scott Grimes and Phil Adams, who both came second in their categories.
This weekend Dan Chambers is representing Young England in a match at Poole against the Rest of the World, and on Sunday he is joined by Ben Collins in the Poole Ade Gale Memorial Trophy.
The Hawks will therefore be down on strength for their league match at Great Blakenham. On Wednesday, June 2, Hethersett stage the Breckland Autos Charity Cup (7.30pm).
- 1 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 2 Drivers face delays on A11 - and the bulk of the work has yet to begin
- 3 Pro dancer transforms Norfolk barber's shop into a new pilates studio
- 4 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Two lorries and two cars involved in crash on A11
- 8 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan