Hawks' hopes fade after derby defeat
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton & Co had hopes of lifting the South-East Division One cycle speedway title for the first time.But those hopes all went up in smoke in a feisty local derby with Norwich.
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton & Co had hopes of lifting the South-East Division One cycle speedway title for the first time.
But those hopes all went up in smoke in a feisty local derby with Norwich.
Honours were even after 10 heats, with some excellent work by Harley Hamill and Dave Martin in heat four. But in heat 11 Hethersett's top rider Nick Myhill was harshly excluded by the referee and after a brief altercation, he was given a red card.
From that point on the Hawks were up against it and despite a fine effort, they found the stronger Norwich side too much to handle. Dan Chambers and Ben Collins were two youngsters who impressed.
You may also want to watch:
Hethersett 80, Norwich 91. BCollins 15, D Martin 12, D Chambers 12, P Adams 10, D Adams 9, N Myhill 8, H Hamill 7, S Wilcox 7.
In the Youth League match Chambers was outstanding , unbeaten in six rides, and well supported by Hamill, but being short of riders they lost by 11 points.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 4 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 5 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 6 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 7 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 8 Norfolk airfield to host testing of 'world-first' electric plane
- 9 Car dealership next to doctor's surgery given go-ahead
- 10 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
Hethersett U16 65, Norwich U16 76. D Chambers 23, H Hamill 20, C Grimes 10, K Adams 7, T Collins 5.
In Sheffield the previous day Chambers had an off-day and only made the C final in the U16 Grand Prix, which he won, but there were excellent performances by the three other Hawks present.
Both Phil Adams (U18) and Scott Grimes (U14) reached A finals against the best in Britain, with Adams finishing third and Grimes fourth. Carly Grimes had her best national round in the girls event, making the B final.
This Saturday Hethersett riders contest the East Anglian U19 and Senior Finals at Great Blakenham, while on Sunday Hethersett stage the final round of the South-East Grand Prix from 1pm.