Hawks get cycle speedway campaign off to flying start
- Credit: Archant
Hethersett Hawks/Myhill Decorators got their South East & Eastern League season off to a fine start with a double victory over local rivals Norwich.
In front of a good-sized crowd at Eaton Park, the Hawks showed more sharpness and tactical awareness than the home side and quickly built up a comfortable lead which stretched to 14 points by the interval.
Hawks skipper Leigh Cossey was in unbeatable form, well supported by Dan Chambers and Olly Buxton. Reserves Dan Butler and Roger Carter rounded things off with a 7-3 win in heat 16.
Norwich 68 Hethersett 92: L Cossey 19, D Chambers 16, O Buxton 15, H Hamill 12, J Herring 10, O Wells 10, D Butler 5, R Carter 5.
After a promising first-team appearance Owen Wells led the B team to a 86-73 victory with a maximum but the star performance came from debutante Paul Delaiche with 13 points.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday the Hawks host East London (2pm).
- 1 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 2 Millions could be spent on better cycle routes around Norwich
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Norfolk nurse's 'lightbulb moment' leads to star-studded dog show panel
- 6 "Buzz" at Norfolk gyms as classes return indoors
- 7 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 8 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
- 9 How can we manage the cost of my mother's care?
- 10 Concerns over divide in vaccine rates - what's the situation where you live?