Hawks get cycle speedway campaign off to flying start
- Credit: Archant
Hethersett Hawks/Myhill Decorators got their South East & Eastern League season off to a fine start with a double victory over local rivals Norwich.
In front of a good-sized crowd at Eaton Park, the Hawks showed more sharpness and tactical awareness than the home side and quickly built up a comfortable lead which stretched to 14 points by the interval.
Hawks skipper Leigh Cossey was in unbeatable form, well supported by Dan Chambers and Olly Buxton. Reserves Dan Butler and Roger Carter rounded things off with a 7-3 win in heat 16.
Norwich 68 Hethersett 92: L Cossey 19, D Chambers 16, O Buxton 15, H Hamill 12, J Herring 10, O Wells 10, D Butler 5, R Carter 5.
After a promising first-team appearance Owen Wells led the B team to a 86-73 victory with a maximum but the star performance came from debutante Paul Delaiche with 13 points.
On Sunday the Hawks host East London (2pm).
- 1 Trust visited four times by Ofsted during pandemic celebrates verdict
- 2 Stunning images of Norfolk's 'Wolf Moon'
- 3 Delays and road partially blocked after crash near Wymondham
- 4 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 5 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 6 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 7 Disruptions likely after warnings of dense fog set to last two days
- 8 Teen to stand trial accused of sexual assault
- 9 Cowboy builder Kyle Muir admits fleecing customers out of £48,300
- 10 A11 reopened after two-vehicle crash