Hawks’ captain leads by example
CYCLE SPEEDWAY: Hethersett Hawks/Swinton & Co travelled to East London for their final league matches of the 2010 campaign and played a big part in some entertaining racing.
The home side admitted to fielding their strongest squad of the season whereas the Hawks had two out injured and others unavailable.
Captain Dave Martin set the best example of all, winning all his five rides and encouraging his lesser experienced colleagues while Phil Adams notched an exciting 16 points, including a 6-4 win in heat 15 with Scott Grimes.
East London 105, Hethersett 73. D Martin 20, P Adams 16, S Grimes 9, R Carter 7, Dave Chambers 7, Calvin Grimes 6, T Grimes 5, O Buxton 3.
Both teams used two first-team riders in the Combination Division and the two Hawks made the best impression with Oliver Buxton looking a much better rider on borrowed equipment.
You may also want to watch:
The whole team tried very hard and Charlie Larwood and Carly Grimes both picked up key points by determination to keep the pressure on.
East London B (95+9) 104, Hethersett B (64+13) 77.
- 1 Former factory site to become a new church
- 2 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 3 Woodforde's takes over Old Buckenham pub closed for two years
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 8 See inside this restored period farmhouse for sale for £850,000
- 9 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 10 Chainsaw and 10 horse saddles stolen in burglary
O Buxton 19, Calvin Grimes 17, Carly Grimes 9, C Larwood 7, M Perkins 7, A Grimes 5.
Dave Martin rode in the Ireland team against Wales at Harford Park scoring 10 points (with one exclusion) in their 83-92 defeat. Earlier, Phil Adams (16) and Scott Grimes (11) had top-scored for an Ireland Select side that lost 72-108 to Young Wales.
The Hawks conclude their season with their traditional Maiden Plate and Best Pairs events on Sunday, 2pm.