Hawks’ captain leads by example
CYCLE SPEEDWAY: Hethersett Hawks/Swinton & Co travelled to East London for their final league matches of the 2010 campaign and played a big part in some entertaining racing.
The home side admitted to fielding their strongest squad of the season whereas the Hawks had two out injured and others unavailable.
Captain Dave Martin set the best example of all, winning all his five rides and encouraging his lesser experienced colleagues while Phil Adams notched an exciting 16 points, including a 6-4 win in heat 15 with Scott Grimes.
East London 105, Hethersett 73. D Martin 20, P Adams 16, S Grimes 9, R Carter 7, Dave Chambers 7, Calvin Grimes 6, T Grimes 5, O Buxton 3.
Both teams used two first-team riders in the Combination Division and the two Hawks made the best impression with Oliver Buxton looking a much better rider on borrowed equipment.
You may also want to watch:
The whole team tried very hard and Charlie Larwood and Carly Grimes both picked up key points by determination to keep the pressure on.
East London B (95+9) 104, Hethersett B (64+13) 77.
- 1 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 2 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 4 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 5 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 6 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 7 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 8 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 9 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 10 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
O Buxton 19, Calvin Grimes 17, Carly Grimes 9, C Larwood 7, M Perkins 7, A Grimes 5.
Dave Martin rode in the Ireland team against Wales at Harford Park scoring 10 points (with one exclusion) in their 83-92 defeat. Earlier, Phil Adams (16) and Scott Grimes (11) had top-scored for an Ireland Select side that lost 72-108 to Young Wales.
The Hawks conclude their season with their traditional Maiden Plate and Best Pairs events on Sunday, 2pm.