Hawks battle in vain
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton & Co travelled to the West Midlands to face Sandwell in the first round of the British Team Championship. Faced with a tricky track and an experienced opposition the Hawks struggled but battled gamely and gave an improved performance by the second half.
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton & Co travelled to the West Midlands to face Sandwell in the first round of the British Team Championship.
Faced with a tricky track and an experienced opposition the Hawks struggled but battled gamely and gave an improved performance by the second half. Dave Martin won his last two races and Jazz Abbott also gained a victory.
The rest of the side put in a lot of effort but got little reward and the size of the defeat did not do the side justice.
Sandwell 113, Hethersett 67 (D Martin 16, J Abbott 12, D Adams 9, B Collins 8, D Chambers 7, P Adams 7, H Hamill 5, T Grimes 3).
You may also want to watch:
Three days earlier the Hawks were at Eaton Park to race Norwich in a re-arranged South-East League match.
In an incident-packed match the Hawks led for a while but chances of victory faded when Jazz Abbott went to hospital after his third ride when he fell heavily on his shoulder trying to avoid a fallen rider.
- 1 Multi-vehicle crash causes delays on A11
- 2 Long tailbacks on A11 after crash
- 3 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 4 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 5 Thousands of rural homes to benefit from broadband funding
- 6 Families chuffed as heritage railway offers free fares for children
- 7 Headteacher 'delighted' as new space created for primary school
- 8 Just 65 people vote in referendum on town council's future
- 9 Ex-pupils and staff reunite at former village school
- 10 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
Ben Collins was in good form, winning two races to support captain Dave Martin who only lost one race.
Norwich 94, Hethersett 83 (D Martin 19, B Collins 15, D Adams 10, D Chambers 10, P Adams 8, H Hamill 8, T Grimes 8, J Abbott 4, M Perkins 1).
The Hawks got some revenge with victory over Norwich in the Norfolk U13/Novice League match at Harford Park. Scott Grimes was unbeaten and Axl Johnson and Liam Banthorpe won three races each.
Hethersett A 54.5, Norwich A 51.5, Hethersett B 30, Norwich B 24. Hethersett A S Grimes 16, A Johnson 15.5, L Banthorpe 14, R Gamble 9. Hethersett B I Bocz 9, Jaie Abbott 8, C Martin 7, R Cubitt 6.
The scheduled regional found of the Wosskow Brown British Youth and Junior League at Somersham was rained off and will now take place this Saturday.
The older age groups will transfer to Great Blakenham - to race after the home international featuring Hawks' captain Dave Martin, who is riding for Ireland.
A busy weekend starts at Ipswich on Friday night when the Hawks visit for a re-arranged match and then on Sunday the B and Youth teams are at Colchester.