Hawks battle in vain
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton & Co travelled to the West Midlands to face Sandwell in the first round of the British Team Championship. Faced with a tricky track and an experienced opposition the Hawks struggled but battled gamely and gave an improved performance by the second half.
HETHERSETT Hawks/Swinton & Co travelled to the West Midlands to face Sandwell in the first round of the British Team Championship.
Faced with a tricky track and an experienced opposition the Hawks struggled but battled gamely and gave an improved performance by the second half. Dave Martin won his last two races and Jazz Abbott also gained a victory.
The rest of the side put in a lot of effort but got little reward and the size of the defeat did not do the side justice.
Sandwell 113, Hethersett 67 (D Martin 16, J Abbott 12, D Adams 9, B Collins 8, D Chambers 7, P Adams 7, H Hamill 5, T Grimes 3).
Three days earlier the Hawks were at Eaton Park to race Norwich in a re-arranged South-East League match.
In an incident-packed match the Hawks led for a while but chances of victory faded when Jazz Abbott went to hospital after his third ride when he fell heavily on his shoulder trying to avoid a fallen rider.
- 1 Man assaults delivery driver and runs off with sack of parcels
- 2 Lotus reopens Norfolk test-track driving experiences and factory tour
- 3 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 4 Motorcyclist suffers serious leg injury and person cut from car after crash
- 5 'A posy fit for a Queen' - Winners crowned in school Jubilee competition
- 6 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 7 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 8 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 9 9 major jubilee events taking place across Norfolk
- 10 Person released from car and road closed after two-vehicle crash
Ben Collins was in good form, winning two races to support captain Dave Martin who only lost one race.
Norwich 94, Hethersett 83 (D Martin 19, B Collins 15, D Adams 10, D Chambers 10, P Adams 8, H Hamill 8, T Grimes 8, J Abbott 4, M Perkins 1).
The Hawks got some revenge with victory over Norwich in the Norfolk U13/Novice League match at Harford Park. Scott Grimes was unbeaten and Axl Johnson and Liam Banthorpe won three races each.
Hethersett A 54.5, Norwich A 51.5, Hethersett B 30, Norwich B 24. Hethersett A S Grimes 16, A Johnson 15.5, L Banthorpe 14, R Gamble 9. Hethersett B I Bocz 9, Jaie Abbott 8, C Martin 7, R Cubitt 6.
The scheduled regional found of the Wosskow Brown British Youth and Junior League at Somersham was rained off and will now take place this Saturday.
The older age groups will transfer to Great Blakenham - to race after the home international featuring Hawks' captain Dave Martin, who is riding for Ireland.
A busy weekend starts at Ipswich on Friday night when the Hawks visit for a re-arranged match and then on Sunday the B and Youth teams are at Colchester.