Hambling wins singles title at Connaught
CONNAUGHT Bowls Club, Attleborough, completed its domestic short mat season with the finals of the club championships and the Thurgood Shield.First-time finalist Peter Hambling beat Keith Beavers 21-8 over 18 ends to become club singles champion.
CONNAUGHT Bowls Club, Attleborough, completed its domestic short mat season with the finals of the club championships and the Thurgood Shield.
First-time finalist Peter Hambling beat Keith Beavers 21-8 over 18 ends to become club singles champion.
The first nine ends, six of them won by Beavers, were close to produce a score of 7-7.
After that Hambling won eight out of nine ends and scored 14-1 after some very accurate drawing play, which put Beavers under intense pressure.
You may also want to watch:
Both players had hard routes to the final, with Hambling beating county captain Bob Oatway and Beavers beating competition favourite Lee Fallows.
In the pairs Bill and Diana Adcock won 17-12 against Gordon Wilcox and Peter Hambling after a close contest in which each pair won nine ends. The winners had greater variety of shot just to have the edge.
- 1 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 £4.8m funding to tackle scourge of drugs in Norwich
- 4 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 'We won't throw away masks or anti-bac': Couple book post-vaccine holiday
- 8 Concerns raised over proposed energy park's impact on wildlife
- 9 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 10 Flooding fears recede in Norfolk but wind warning issued
In the triples Ty Musk, Christine Musk and Ollie Allen won 21-10 against hot favourites Sheila Bragg, Russell Hales and Lee Fallows.
The winners played tight and controlled bowls, with 18-year-old Ollie Allen in excellent form at two, to shut their opponents out of the match.
In the fours Sheila Bragg, Keith Beavers, Russell Hales and Ray Wells won 20-7 against Ty Musk, Christine Musk, Hazel Banks and Ollie Allen.
The winners held the advantage at every position, with Ray Wells at three and Sheila Bragg at skip able to bowl heavy and destructive woods.
The Thurgood Shield is a popular drawn pairs, two-woods competition in which 48 players entered this year.
Ray Wells and Heather Winup beat Keith Beavers and Val Hambling 13-12 in an exciting final.
Wells, who had an outstanding game, drew a superb backhand to take the winning shot on the last end.
The finals, held on separate evenings, were very well supported by club members.
Connaught's green opens on Saturday with a drive, 2pm start, but players are asked to arrive earlier.