Great start for Melton
GREAT MELTON'S first team made a winning start to life in Division Three of the Norfolk Alliance with a five-wicket victory over North Runcton A.
Fifteen-year-old Darshan Rai was the pick of Great Melton's bowlers, taking three for 31 from his 12 overs.
The young left-armer bowled with decent pace and caused problems for all of the North Runcton batsmen but his control was the most impressive aspect, conceding just one wide.
He received good support from all of the bowlers. Michael Sibert was particularly impressive, taking two for 26 and gaining appreciable turn with his leg breaks.
Ben Coote top scored for the visitors, making 40, and some lusty blows from Stuart Bunting saw Runcton post 142 from their 46 overs.
This was a total that was well below par on a good wicket and quick outfield.
In reply, Melton lost former Runcton player, Jim Rice (4) early, bowled by a decent yorker from the lively, but erratic Coote.
- 1 Café reopens with dog-friendly menu in Wymondham
- 2 Property spotlight: Inside six-bed Grade II listed home for sale for £695k
- 3 Hughes Electrical to close its Wymondham branch
- 4 Chef nominated for best wedding caterer of the year in the UK
- 5 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 6 Man taken to hospital after car crashed into ditch
- 7 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 8 New Co-op branch opening its doors in Wymondham
- 9 Delays and road partially blocked after crash near Wymondham
- 10 A11 reopened after two-vehicle crash
Martin Bunn, who is returning from a serious knee injury, looked assured until he was adjudged lbw to Bix for 16 and when Richard Wood was caught for 21, Melton were 62 for three, and making heavy weather of chasing a modest target.
However, Marcus Godbold (53) played a fine knock and struck the ball hard and well and with Jonny Howard (8) and Matt Clarke (20 not out), they saw Melton to a comfortable five-wicket victory in just the 33rd over.
Great Melton beat North Runcton A by five wickets at Melton Park in the Frankly Digital Norfolk Alliance Division Three.
North Runcton A: T Coote b Rai 0, M Skipper c Wood b Hubbard 13, J Lemon c Hubbard b Scott 3, B Coote lbw b Rai 40, W Lankfer c Woods b Sibert 8, I Bix not out 19, H Lankfer c Clarke b Sibert 0, T Bunting run out (Howard) 15, S Bunting not out 26; extras 17. Total (7 wkts) 142.
Bowling: D Rai 12-3-31-3, M Scott 7-0-34-1, M Sibert 11-4-26-2, N Hubbard 9-2-30-1, J Rice 7-3-17-0.
Great Melton: R Wood c Lemon b S Bunting 21, J Rice b Coote 4, M Bunn lbw b Bix 16, M Godbold b Skipper 53, J Howard b Bix 8, M Clarke not out 20, M Sibert not out 4; extras 16. Total (5 wkts) 143.
Bowling: B Coote 6-1-32-1, S Bunting 12-2-44-1, I Bix 9-2-38-2, B Skipper 4-0-11-1, C Elvin 2.1-0-7-0.