Great start for Melton
GREAT MELTON'S first team made a winning start to life in Division Three of the Norfolk Alliance with a five-wicket victory over North Runcton A.
Fifteen-year-old Darshan Rai was the pick of Great Melton's bowlers, taking three for 31 from his 12 overs.
The young left-armer bowled with decent pace and caused problems for all of the North Runcton batsmen but his control was the most impressive aspect, conceding just one wide.
He received good support from all of the bowlers. Michael Sibert was particularly impressive, taking two for 26 and gaining appreciable turn with his leg breaks.
Ben Coote top scored for the visitors, making 40, and some lusty blows from Stuart Bunting saw Runcton post 142 from their 46 overs.
You may also want to watch:
This was a total that was well below par on a good wicket and quick outfield.
In reply, Melton lost former Runcton player, Jim Rice (4) early, bowled by a decent yorker from the lively, but erratic Coote.
- 1 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 2 Ex-pupils and staff reunite at former village school
- 3 Full steam ahead for track renewal work on railway
- 4 Arts centre announces reopening after Covid-forced hibernation
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 7 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 8 Should I invest in Shareholder Protection?
- 9 Can we get assistance to pay for long-term care?
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Martin Bunn, who is returning from a serious knee injury, looked assured until he was adjudged lbw to Bix for 16 and when Richard Wood was caught for 21, Melton were 62 for three, and making heavy weather of chasing a modest target.
However, Marcus Godbold (53) played a fine knock and struck the ball hard and well and with Jonny Howard (8) and Matt Clarke (20 not out), they saw Melton to a comfortable five-wicket victory in just the 33rd over.
Great Melton beat North Runcton A by five wickets at Melton Park in the Frankly Digital Norfolk Alliance Division Three.
North Runcton A: T Coote b Rai 0, M Skipper c Wood b Hubbard 13, J Lemon c Hubbard b Scott 3, B Coote lbw b Rai 40, W Lankfer c Woods b Sibert 8, I Bix not out 19, H Lankfer c Clarke b Sibert 0, T Bunting run out (Howard) 15, S Bunting not out 26; extras 17. Total (7 wkts) 142.
Bowling: D Rai 12-3-31-3, M Scott 7-0-34-1, M Sibert 11-4-26-2, N Hubbard 9-2-30-1, J Rice 7-3-17-0.
Great Melton: R Wood c Lemon b S Bunting 21, J Rice b Coote 4, M Bunn lbw b Bix 16, M Godbold b Skipper 53, J Howard b Bix 8, M Clarke not out 20, M Sibert not out 4; extras 16. Total (5 wkts) 143.
Bowling: B Coote 6-1-32-1, S Bunting 12-2-44-1, I Bix 9-2-38-2, B Skipper 4-0-11-1, C Elvin 2.1-0-7-0.