Great finale as Melton and Ellingham tussle for inaugural cricket title
The first season of the new zipleague, a six-a-side indoor U13 cricket tournament, reached its thrilling climax on Monday evening with two teams still in contention for the inaugural trophy.
With Great Ellingham, unbeaten on 100 points, and Greatt Melton on 102, it was simply a question of which team could garner the largest amount of points against their respective opponents – Saxlingham and Mulbarton – or whether either of these clubs could nick a win themselves.
In the opening game Ellingham batted first, posting a decent total against opponents Saxlingham and then went on to take 13 wickets, winning the game comfortably to secure a vital 50 points.
In the second match Melton needed 49 points from their encounter with Mulbarton to clinch the title and made an excellent start, scoring a net 203 to earn 20 batting points, all pairs contributing to the large total.
With Melton needing to take 10 wickets, tenacious resistance from the first four Mulbarton batsmen meant that the result of the game and the tournament was in the balance right up to the final over of the evening before Mulbarton's final pair suffered a major collapse, losing six wickets – enough to take Melton over the finishing line to win the title by just three points.
You may also want to watch:
At the end of the evening the League's sponsor Derek Barnard presented winners' medals and competition organiser Joe Harris thanked him and the teams for making the first season of the new zipleague so successful.
There are plans to add an U11 League next season – full details of this along with full results and tables can be found on the South Norfolk Community League website.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 3 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 4 Who can I vote for on Election Day 2021 in Wymondham?
- 5 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history
- 6 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 7 How you can create a hedgehog haven
- 8 Town's mayor re-elected despite complaint over date of vote
- 9 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 10 'A whirlwind' - how 19-year-old became baking sensation in lockdown