Great display by Melton

GREAT Melton produced their best performance of the season to inflict an emphatic defeat on third placed Bungay. Yet again midweek sunshine gave way to cloud and showers as the weekend arrived but Melton skipper Simon Woods still had no hesitation in opting to bat first on another good looking Melton Park pitch.

IT was a great weekend for Great Melton, with all four of their teams picking up league victories - the first clean sweep of the season.

The first team produced their best display of the season to inflict an emphatic 113-run defeat on Bungay.

Melton skipper Simon Woods opted to bat first. Richard Wood and Jason Whiddett added 21 from the first 10 overs against the tight seam bowling of the Fuller brothers. By the 20th over they had increased the scoring rate to three an over until Whiddett was the first to go, caught behind off the bowling of left-armer James.

Alex Cooper only added six and Martin Bunn was adjudged lbw for 14, both also falling victim to James.

A heavy rain shower after 30 overs halted play for an hour and play resumed after an early tea interval with the score on 110-3.

Jon Howard played some customary big shots while Wood continued to accumulate and the scoring rate steadily began to climb.

Most Read

Howard departed for 31 in the 43rd over not before Wood had also gone through the gears and a succession

of well-timed boundaries brought up his second ton in consecutive matches.

Martyn Cook was unlucky to fall for a duck to a good catch but David Bunn kept Wood company through the last few balls to bring the total up to a useful 213-5 at the close. Wood remained unbeaten on 123.

Bungay began their reply briskly, racing to 30 from only seven overs as Davin Bunn and Nathan Devlin struggled to find their line.

Gradually both Melton bowlers settled into a rhythm and began to peg the scoring back until Bunn made the initial breakthrough, having Watts caught by Devlin.

York soon fell to an excellent one-handed slip catch by Wood for one. Devlin made it two wickets in one over when he then removed Chris Fuller, caught by Jason Whiddett at gully. Neil Hubbard then joined the attack and delivered a superb over at David Fuller, but although he survived the pressure he succumbed to Bunn in the very next over.

Hubbard then got in amongst the wickets, removing Smith and Masters in successive balls, both to catches in the cordon.

Davies provided Hubbard his third victim and a second catch for Alex Cooper then Paul Movel, on his return to Norfolk for one game only, got in on the action - removing Cushing for nine.

Hubbard completed his second successive four-wicket haul when James was caught by Woods for 11.

Movel wrapped it up, clean bowling Kirkpatrick for nine.

Wood added to his 100 with three slip catches to secure a well-deserved man-of-the-match award.