Great away day on the coast as Attleborough hit four to end hosts’ run of good form

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Attleborough travelled to the north Norfolk coast to meet a revived Sheringham team that had recently been on a good run and returned home with a 4-2 victory.

Again injuries and unavailability hampered managers Edwards' and Clayton's hands as the Carr brothers, Will Baker and Jack Binks were all drafted into the squad and Matt Ducker returned in goal.

As it happened, it was the visitors who started on the front foot and Jack Flynn and Matty Carr both caused consternation in the Sheringham defence.

Eventually, after 25 minutes of more Boro pressure, they forced a corner which resulted in Jamie Venables' well-flighted kick sailing over everybody into the net to put Boro ahead.

Matty Carr's tenacity was rewarded when he then made it 2-0 to Attleborough just before the half-time break.

The anticipated home fightback didn't really materialise as the second period began and Boro looked the more likely to score.

And that is exactly what happened on the hour mark after a steady start to the second half.

Most Read

A right-wing corner evaded everyone apart from Attleborugh's Steve Wright at the far post and he skilfully guided the ball into an empty net.

Five minutes later, Boro scored their fourth and best goal when Brad Rivett broke free down the right and chipped the keeper with an exquisite attempt.

Sheringham finally woke out of their slumber and, prompted by the ever-dangerous Jordan Rocastle, pressed Ducker into some action. The home side hit the bar before two late efforts gave the scoreline a rather flattering look given that this was Attleborough's day and a fine away performance.

The side now maintain sixth place in the Anglian Combination League's Division One table and have reached the healthy milestone of 40 points with four matches to play.

Beccles Town, pushing for promotion, visit the Rec this coming Saturday with a 2.30pm kick-off.

Attleborough Reserves have reached the final of the league's CS Morley Trophy with a fantastic 2-0 victory at Heacham.

A goal in either half from Jay Webb was enough to give Ben Calton's side a final berth against Gorleston Reserves on Tuesday, April 25 at the FDC, Bowthorpe, where kick-off will be at 7.15pm.