Good wins for Hawks
Hethersett Hawks/Swinton & Co had a very wet visit to Suffolk on Sunday but came back with two good victories. The U16 team kept up their three-year unbeaten record at Ipswich in the morning.
Hethersett Hawks/Swinton & Co had a very wet visit to Suffolk on Sunday but came back with two good victories.
The U16 team kept up their three-year unbeaten record at Ipswich in the morning.
Ben Collins was in brilliant form for a maximum with Dan Chambers and Phil Adams only losing once apiece. But the best performance came from Carly Grimes who won two races in key 7-3 wins. It was also good to see Tiffany Collins continue her comeback from injury, unlucky not to score more points.
Scores: Ipswich 73, Hethersett 87 (D Chambers 20, B Collins 19, P Adams 19, H Hamill 12, C Grimes 12, T Collins 5).
Then it was on to Kesgrave to face big puddles and sawdust on the track for a South-East Division One match.
A puncture then a rare error by Ben Collins found the Hawks six points down after five heats.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Road closed in mid Norfolk after electrical cables catch fire
- 3 Man accused of £3.5m whiskey theft due back in court
- 4 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 5 Football club treasurer stole funds to pay for slimming pills
- 6 New boss at historic Norfolk pub launches fresh menu and community events
- 7 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 8 Former bank in town could become a Domino's takeaway
- 9 'It's frustrating' - Vandals damage medieval church's stained glass windows
- 10 Pick your own beautiful bouquets in country park's new garden
From then on they settled down with good teamwork, superior fitness and a faultless maximum from Dave Martin.
David and Phil Adams scored a 7-3 win in heat 16 and Martin and Collins did the same in the next heat. Other key points were the return of Jazz Abbott, despite a painful foot injury, and Tim Grimes' three good rides from the reserve position.
Scores: Kesgrave 84, Hethersett 96 (D Martin 20, D Chambers 14, D Adams 13, B Collins 13, P Adams 11, H Hamill 9, J Abbott 9, T Grimes 7).
The previous day at Kesgrave, two Hethersett riders took part in an U13 invitation event. Jaie Abbott included a win in his 10 points but Scott Grimes was forced to pull out injured.
Hawks had to admit second best to a more experienced Norwich side but battled well in the Norfolk U16 Intermediate League match at Hethersett.
Scores: Norwich A 62, Hethersett A 49 (H Hamill 14, T Collins 12, D Woods 12, C Grimes 11).
Norwich B 22, Hethersett B 8 (R Gamble 8).