Football: Wymondham secure Premier Division status
Blofield 1 Wymondham Tn 1
Wymondham Town secured Anglian Combination Premier Division football for next season at rain soaked Blofield.
The home side needed a win as they chased the Sterry Cup title hot on the heels of Cromer and Acle.
Blofield started better and Calum Webb and Stuart Felgate had to be alert to make some timely interceptions. The Rooks' first chance came as David Ramsbottom and Gareth Downs linked well to set up Chris Priest, but his powerful shot lacked accuracy. Town survived a few hairy moments, but Blofield failed to find that final finish.
Wymondham took the lead on 30 minutes when Adam Plumstead played Ramsbottom through and he neatly slid the ball home into the far corner. The hosts were level before the break as Morgan slotted home from the penalty spot after Plumstead was harshly adjudged to have handled. As the second half got under way Webb headed just wide at the far post from a corner.
You may also want to watch:
Blofield pushed forward, searching for the three points they needed, but Wymondham still posed a threat on the counter. Johnny Phipps and Downs both had shots blocked and sub Jason Hynd had a chance to put Town ahead, but he couldn't find a finish when through on goal.
Blofield went for the win and pushed four men up front. Simon Cracknell got back well to clear one off the line and Matt Ducker made some excellent saves. He got out quickly to save at Morgan's feet and then flung himself across his goal to tip over a shot that looked destined for the top corner.
- 1 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 4 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 5 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 6 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 7 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 8 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 9 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 10 Bagpiper lifts spirits for care home residents on Burns Night