Football: Attleborough Town 8, Beccles Caxton 1

After the Christmas break Boro welcomed Beccles Caxton to the Rec looking to secure the top spot they acquired prior to the festive season. The game started at a fast pace and Boro showed their dominance from the start.

The wingers of Matthew Brown and Nathan Lawson looked to penetrate behind the visitors back line and created a number of chances early in the game.

It was not long before one of these attacks found Dan Whitman in the box and he controlled and finished superbly in to the top left corner of the goal. Now settled completely Boro attacked again with Nathan Lawson providing some entertaining wing play to cross low and hard in to the oncoming Whitman who finished with venom passed the stranded Beccles keeper.

This pattern of attack then continued down the right hand side of the pitch with Stevie Wright producing a fine run with a finish from an acute angle which left a defender scrambling to keep the ball out but could only follow it in to the net.

The dubious goals committee finally awarded the goal to Wright after a lengthy discussion. Just before the break a bit of complacency set in and Boro over committed to an attack which when Beccles broke they were afforded a goal from long range, something that was strongly discussed at half time to ensure discipline was maintained. Immediately after the break Lawson found himself volleying in to the top left corner again after some fine wing play from Brown.

This then set the tone for the second half if Boro looked in control in the first half they were definitely pulling all the strings now. Wave after wave of attack started from the defence battering the Beccles back line.

Nathan Lake along with Charlie Smith and Stevie Wright controlled the midfield providing link up play from the outstanding Boro defensive line of Josh Guiness, Alex Lyall, Daniel Appleton, Mihail Propustin and Kieron Brown. Changes were made Kane Wetteland, Sam Snowling and Sam Lawrence were all introduced in the final third of the game and duly rewarded Kane Wetteland scored two goals in quick succession making an impact up front.

Most Read

Wright found more time on the ball and after a couple of runs in to the Beccles penalty area found himself tripped and awarded a penalty which he dispatched soon after.

The attacks continued and Wetteland scored his third in the closing minutes to make the score eight one to the Boro a scoreline that shows how far the club has come over the last few months.

Boro now have a week off and return to the rec to play Foulsham on the 21st of January KO at 2pm.