Flynn’s cracker helps Attleborough Town into last 16 of Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Boro booked their place in the last 16 of the Norfolk Senior Cup after seeing off Premier Division Reepham at The Rec thanks to goals from Jack Flynn and Tom Miles.
Boro started well and could have nicked an early goal but Whitman failed to capitalise on a short pass from the away keeper.
Rivett was again looking dangerous down the right, earning his side free-kicks in good positions, but Boro were unable to make anything of them.
Then a long switched ball from Venables to K Brown saw the winger get in behind the Reepham back line and cross for both Flynn and Whitman to have chances blocked by the defenders.
Moments later a long throw in saw Flynn's volleyed finish dragged just wide.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started in much the same manner as the first and Boro's hard work was soon rewarded with a superb solo goal. Flynn picked the ball up before beating a couple of players and unleashing a powerful strike from outside the box into the back of the net.
More openings were created by Boro and Clayton missed a good chance from an in-swinging free-kick and Flynn had his one-on-one opportunity saved.
- 1 Award-winning war film shot in Norfolk and Suffolk released on Amazon Prime
- 2 ‘Lack of discipline’: Leader hits out after town’s huge Covid surge
- 3 Daily coronavirus cases in Norfolk soar again
- 4 ‘Play your part in history’ - army of Norfolk volunteers needed for Covid vaccine roll out
- 5 Norfolk coronavirus infection rates fall further
- 6 'Oh, crumbs' - Maximus, 2, inspires mum's lockdown biscuit business
- 7 Tea room to close for a week after coronavirus case confirmed
- 8 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 9 Why Norfolk districts cannot be in different Covid tiers - yet
- 10 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
Miles and Searle were brought on and both made an impact. Flynn's lofted pass was brought down well by Miles as he took the ball in his path and rolled his finish into the corner to double Boro's lead.
Moments later the ball fell to Searle and he had his strike blocked on the line.
Back in the Boro goal, Guinness had to maintain his concentration as a rare attack from Reepham saw a ball over the top latched onto by the forward. The Boro number one was quick off his line to make an important block.
This was an impressive display from Boro that saw them continue their recent run of good form and win their fifth game in succession.
Boro return to league action on Saturday as they welcome newly-promoted Yelverton.
Attleborough: J Guinness, S Snowling, J Venables, C Smith, L Clayton, B Rivett, S Wright, J Carr, K Brown (capt), J Flynn, D Whitman. Subs: R Searle, T Miles, M Smith.
Wymondham Town also booked their place in the last 16 when they won 2-1 at Premier Division Acle United thanks to goals from Liam Moriarty and Aaron Nixon. Town at are home to Aylsham in the league on Saturday.