South Norfolk teenagers become national boxing champions
- Credit: Attleborough Boxing Club
Two teenage members of Attleborough Boxing Club have become national junior champions.
Tommy Fletcher, 16, and Lydia 'Socks' Nagle, 15, travelled to Rotherham for the England Boxing National Junior Championships final.
Lydia competed in the Class A female 50kg and Tommy in the Class B Male 70-75kg on Sunday, March 25.
In a strong start against Roxanne Fraser of Islington, the referee was forced to give Roxanne a standing eight count just before the bell in round two, and in round three Lydia won the match with a right hook after just 15 seconds, putting her through to the final.
After three rounds against Sadie Whiteland of Bletchley, Lydia was declared champion of her category by way of a split decision.
You may also want to watch:
Tommy was announced champion in close match against Khalid Ayub, from Warrior Breed Boxing Club, also by way of a split decision, and made it onto the England Boxing talent path.
- 1 Local election results 2021: All the winners in Wymondham
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Conservative gain in the south
- 3 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Nine in 10 want more Post Office services – but no new branch on the cards
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 8 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late
- 9 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 10 The postcard collector who preserved Norfolk history