South Norfolk teenagers become national boxing champions
- Credit: Attleborough Boxing Club
Two teenage members of Attleborough Boxing Club have become national junior champions.
Tommy Fletcher, 16, and Lydia 'Socks' Nagle, 15, travelled to Rotherham for the England Boxing National Junior Championships final.
Lydia competed in the Class A female 50kg and Tommy in the Class B Male 70-75kg on Sunday, March 25.
In a strong start against Roxanne Fraser of Islington, the referee was forced to give Roxanne a standing eight count just before the bell in round two, and in round three Lydia won the match with a right hook after just 15 seconds, putting her through to the final.
After three rounds against Sadie Whiteland of Bletchley, Lydia was declared champion of her category by way of a split decision.
You may also want to watch:
Tommy was announced champion in close match against Khalid Ayub, from Warrior Breed Boxing Club, also by way of a split decision, and made it onto the England Boxing talent path.
- 1 Donations mean 13 vulnerable children will get laptops at home
- 2 Your photos as blanket of snow covers Wymondham and Attleborough
- 3 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 4 Fury as 'woolly' Covid rules leave police 'stuck in middle'
- 5 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 6 Bird flu containment 'successfully completed' at infected turkey farms
- 7 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 8 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 9 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
- 10 A11 lane reopens after Thickthorn crash