Ellingham through in cup
ELLINGHAM travelled to Wicklewood in the first round of the Mid Norfolk League Broke Cup last Sunday. Stand-in captain Allum lost the toss and Wicklewood elected to bat.
ELLINGHAM travelled to Wicklewood in the first round of the Mid Norfolk League Broke Cup last Sunday.
Stand-in captain Allum lost the toss and Wicklewood elected to bat. Wicklewood got off to a good start, there were good contributions from most of their top order, Anderson-Brown (11), Edwards (18), Hipperson (39) and a quickfire 27 from Pitcher.
Ellingham stuck to their task well in sweltering conditions. Wickets were picked up by all the bowlers; Standley (1-27) and Glover (1-15) opened up and they were well supported by Oxborough (2-40).
However, it was Potter (3-23) and Hawkins (3-14) who picked up the most wickets. Oxborough picked up the dangerous Pitcher and Hawkins trapped Hipperson lbw to pre-empt a late order collapse.
You may also want to watch:
Great credit should go to young Joe Clarke who kept wicket and acquitted himself well. Wicklewood were dismissed for 137 inside 30 overs.
In reply Ellingham got off to a solid start. Once again the new opening partnership of Ewin and Cooper paid dividends amassing 41 for the first wicket before Ewin (14) was dismissed by an outstanding catch.
- 1 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 2 Lotus creates 250 new jobs - but will ditch some models
- 3 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 4 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 5 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
- 6 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 7 New Toolstation branch coming to Wymondham?
- 8 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 9 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 10 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
After Wharton was dismissed cheaply Dunble (12) and Cooper added a further 48 for the third wicket. Cooper played some scintillating cover drives, pull shots and late cuts.
For Wicklewood the attack was led by the miserly Baines (1-8) and Holt (1-18) not to mention the two wickets picked up by Anderson-Brown.
It was left to Cooper (77no) and Hawkins (6no) who saw Ellingham home with three overs to spare.
Ellingham will once again field two sides in the Mid Norfolk League this coming Sunday.